Do you read the last page first?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Re: Do you read the last page first?

Post by kjs237 »

For me, reading the last page would spoil the book. If I know the ending, why bother to read the rest? I do know a couple of people who always read the last page first and if they don't like the ending they don't read the book. This has never made any sense to me. Part of the enjoyment of reading a novel, particularly a mystery or thriller, is trying to see if you can figure out how the book will end.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

No, I've never done this and don't think I ever will. I would worry I might spoil the end of the book for myself and I would want the conclusions I draw to come naturally as I read.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

really interesting reading people’s reasons for why but for me that’s would just be weird and i wouldn’t want to spoil anything for myself
yonyan0314
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by yonyan0314 »

Yes I read the last page of the book first, it is quiet funny but it is true. Because I want to know if the story is going to end happily ever after. That makes me more exciting to finish the book.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Of course not. What fun is that?
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

No, I seldom do that. I feel that it only takes away some of the fun or suspense in the plot and I no longer find it interesting.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Biel »

Haha I do! I really have to try hard not to. I want to know some spot clues but at the same time I don't want spoilers haha so I guess we are both weird.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I don't read the last page. I'm fine with spoiling it for myself but it's just not something I would do to spoil the book. I prefer not having that insight. I want to see if I can pick up context clues for myself.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I have on occasion, but generally I like to read a book without knowing how it will end. One of the best parts of reading is the journey, and reading the last page takes away from that.
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I've never thought of reading the last page first nor will I ever try to. I read more mystery thrillers then any other genre and I feel like by reading the last page first, usually the part where the mystery is solved, I would be sabotaging myself. What's the point of investing time in a book where you already how it's going to unfold?
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

I never read the last page nor will I plan on doing so in the future because I hate spoilers and want to see how the story progresses rather than skip to the ending.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I haven't tried yet. I only explore the cover of the book both front and back then start reading from the first page. But, I will try your idea because maybe just maybe it might spice up my reading more.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
wilbourn_madison303
Currently Reading: Pact
Bookshelf Size: 296

Post by wilbourn_madison303 »

Definitely. If I do not read the last page of the book, I will most definitely read the last sentence. When looking for a good book in the library, it's difficult to find something that suits my tastes. The last sentence allows me to gauge the writer's abilities. If written well, the last sentence is impactful, carefully crafted... it's often intriguing, hooking me in to see how the book will end! :D
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

Generally, I am not a fan of spoilers, but sometimes I find it too difficult to resist! It depends on how invested I feel in the characters (and if there is a risk of something awful happening to them) - so I usually wouldn't read any of the end pages before reading about half the book. Mostly I would only read the last sentence or paragraph though, not the entire final page.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I couldn't possibly! I do like to reread it later to spot the clues, but never before I'm done.

My sister always likes to know the endings before diving in, though in her case it's to calm her anxiety.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”