Read in a foreign language?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ixora
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ixora.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Read in a foreign language?

Post by ixora »

Mainly English and a bit of French but I'm also in the process of learning Mandarin Chinese so I'm starting to look for beginner level books to read in that language.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

npandit wrote: 01 Apr 2014, 02:11 I knew a lady who learned English from reading books (she only used to speak Spanish), and I really wanted to follow in her example, and start reading books in Hindi, Spanish or Portuguese to help improve my competency in those languages. It is a little frustrating, however, and I didn't go through with it, but now I kind of want to start trying again. When you see things written in another language, you start to appreciate all the different, unique ways with which people can perceive and describe the world.
That sounds like a good way to learn a language, I might try it as I love languages. That being said I've only ever read a few children's books in a foreign language.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>
Currently Reading: Uncommon Type
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by BiljanaH »

I read in Serbian, English and sometimes in Spanish. Depending on the original language of the book, I will choose the translation; for example, I'd rather read Serbian translation of Russian, Bulgarian or other Eastern European languages as they all belong to Slavic family of languages. I get frustrated if the flow of the sentence appears unnatural because it doesn't do any justice to the author and it affects my reading experience, sometimes even to the point of me deciding whether or not to finish the book.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I read books in english which is a foreign langauge to me.

And swedish and danish
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I don't currently read in any other languages because I don't know any well enough. But it is a bucket list goal of mine to learn Spanish and be able to read a novel in it one day.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I will occasionally read an easy book (for fun) or a really difficult theological work (for work) in German. There seems to be very little middle ground.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I read mostly in English, because it is the language that has the biggest selection of e-books. It is my second language. But before I got my e-reader, I was reading in my first language, which is Slovenian and in Slovak and Czech. Now I'm bracing myself for German books, to learn it.
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

For me it's English (which is not my mother tongue), but I made a point in reading at least 2 or 3 books a year in German (so I keep it fluent enough) and Italian because I want to keep a good level in my first language and not talk like a 6 years old.
I find reading in English most rewarding, probably because most books are written by English speaking authors. Reading in German is difficult because of the sentence construction, which I find tortuous and sometimes boring. Italian is ok, but I find that it's more enjoyable reading a book in its original language (if I know the language, otherwise I pick English). Sometime the translation loose depth and often sayings and word plays can't be translated and still make sense or be funny
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Yes, I mostly read in English although I'm Estonian. :D
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Yes, English is my first language but my husband is Colombian and we actually met in France so we read in Spanish and French as well.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

yep, I read in mandarin and japanese!

i actually avoid kids books though. If you can find them, i'd look for graded readers. for example, i'm reading a mandarin graded reader that expects a vocabulary of 2500 words and has about 8 short stories. i'm at about 1100 words, so while I can follow along, there's enough new to me that i learn from it. graded readers usually highlight tricky vocab and explain it, as well, and are much more accessible than trying to read a child's book because it's aimed at adult readers.

i try to read 2 pages a day among st my other study, because frankly, READING IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE IS EXHAUSTING and i'm mad impressed by anyone who can read fluently!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes, now-a-days I am reading more books in a foreign language (English) than my mother tongue. Although as a child I used to read very few English books, once I started reading them more and more, I felt more and more comfortable- not only with reading but also with writing /talking in English as well.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I sometimes try to read books in Spanish to practice my Spanish reading skills. I am a fluent speaker and writer, but am a lot slower when it comes to reading it.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

English is a foreign language to me. Reading a lot in English helped me to learn this language and it's fun.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Actually, English is my second language, so yes, I do read a lot in a second language. Obviously, there are some words I don't understand sometimes, but it helps me keep learning and keep my brain even more active.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”