How to start reading classics?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

How to start reading classics?

Post by Hiru1998+ »

Whenever I start to read classics, it get's tiresome for me as some old English words are harder. But I really want to read classics as I know they contain great values. Can someone kindly provide me some tips to start reading classics?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Hiru1998+ wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 06:59 Whenever I start to read classics, it get's tiresome for me as some old English words are harder. But I really want to read classics as I know they contain great values. Can someone kindly provide me some tips to start reading classics?

My number one tip would be to not feel like you need to read classics for anything other than enjoyment. They may have value, but most books do, if you go in with the right mindset.
I used to be very intimidated by classics, and (much like you) felt there was some intrinsic value just to reading them. Honestly, if you don't enjoy what you're reading, you're not going to get much out of it.

In other words: pick ones that appeal to you outside of them just being "classics."
For example, I love sci-fi/fantasy, so I leaned toward things like Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. and used that as a jumping off point.

As for the language, the best way I've found to work around that is by reading and listening to an audio book at the same time. It connects the language (in my brain at least) in a way that is very helpful. But you need to have ones that match (different translations and/or editions can vary enough to be difficult).
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”