Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I own a lot of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. I have many series where there are 7 plus books, I really like Vampire Academy, True Blood, and the Thirst series lol yes they are all vampire books hah

The length of the books in the series also effect the likelihood of reading them. Like 12 books that are 350 pages compared to 700+ pages can make a huge difference.
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

It depends on the series. If it is something written with a goal in mind like Wheel of Time or the Stormlight Archives then I don't mind them being long. The Stephanie Plum books, though it is a series with continuing characters, isn't a series with any goal. You are just putting the same people in different situations. Harry Potter is another good example of a series with a goal, she knew where she wanted her characters to end, and didn't just keep tossing them into new situations without her mind set on that goal.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

It can if its not done well.
It depends on what the series is about but any series has the potential to drag on too long. Its just whether the Author ends it at a good point.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I think it really depends on the type of book. I've found young adult fiction series tend to be a bit better in terms of retaining quality over length? But adult series, especially high fantasy, I find exhausting if they're long.

I have noticed though that the sweet spot is the halfway point in the series when the author really has a handle on their characterization and pacing, but hasn't used up all their ideas.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes, even with a good story and amazing characters, I believe too long series can become monotonous and lose it's initial charm. I will never want that for my favourite books. I'd rather they end not too soon, nor too late, but keeps me engrossed till the very end.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think a lot of series are too long. Especially some of the planned series that have been published within recent years. There have been some series where I liked the idea and plot of the first book, but was deeply disappointed in the subsequent installments. The authors were clearly more interested in selling more books than writing a good story. Also, generally, I hate it when authors write even one sequel to their best-selling novels. One and done! Don't ruin things by writing a bad sequel. Think up a new story instead.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Aussie-reader wrote: 07 Feb 2014, 21:09 I must say I much prefer books that stand alone rather those which are part of a series.
I completely agree with you. Most of the time, books that are part of a series are dragged out for longer than what they should be, and it makes for an underwhelming read because they're predictable or filler. Especially the second book in a trilogy that does nothing but set up for the final book. Even a duology can be a letdown.
alewis12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by alewis12 »

Oh yes they can! I've experienced it first hand with a series I was into at one time. It makes the plot seem stretched thin
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

TheBookMaven wrote: 07 Feb 2014, 19:41 I always love it when a good book continues into more books of a series, but I wonder if sometimes, a series goes on too long? For example, I have read all of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, but I have discovered that by the time you get to about book 14 or so, that they seem to be a different problem to solve, but none of the characters situations or anything else changes. I makes the story less enjoyable because the stories become very predictable. I think that once you get to that point, either the series needs to end, or maybe the author just needs to take a break from that particular series or something. Have any of you experienced this with other series?
Yes. They can be too long. I generally am not fond of them even.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I think that it can. Usually, more than five books are too much for me, unless the books are particularly good. In most of the books that I have read that have long series, the plot seemed to be stretched thin, or a convenient problem for the characters to solve comes up when a book ends.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

That happened to me with the True Blood series. I bought a box that contained the first six books, I read them, I liked them, but then I learned that there were at least seven more and I lost my interest. If there's a reason why there are so many, like the Harry Potter books where there's a book for each year, I don't mind, but usually if a series is longer than five or six books, I don't read it.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Yes. After 10 books I think that's overkill and I wouldn't want to read any more.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

if every single book in a series is great, then the series can never get too long. I used to read most of Net Force series the only reason I stopped was because the author changed the main characters in the book. however, if he hadn't done that, I would still have continued reading it. series never get boring, I think it's the author that gets less inspiration.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

For sure. Series can drag out a lot longer than the story needs to. Harry Potter is a perfect length. I would say that Cursed Child upsets that balance, and I personally do not deem that as part of the series.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: The Anti-Semite Next Door by Mark M. Bello

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I think it depends on the series. Some could go on forever and I would keep reading.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”