Are libraries still relevant?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Joeobrien1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are libraries still relevant?

Post by Joeobrien1 »

Yes!!! Libraries are places where people, especially children, can go and read without having to spend money to buy a book. In addition there are many different genres of books that can catch a kids eye and start them thinking new ideas. Finally the Librarians help students find relevant material for school assignments that are not available, even on line.
CharlotteVillette
Currently Reading: One step away
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottevillette.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CharlotteVillette »

I think Libraries are becoming unneeded, what with the internet etc..
Me personally would be in our local library all the time if it was good, however it lacks any brilliant books.
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

I can't imagine not having a library. I'm forever ordering them to get me a book that's about to be published. Also, I love jigsaw puzzles, but am terrible at them . Now I can download audio books to my tablet (of which I have 2) and puzzles have become much more relaxing. I have a different book on both tablets so 1 can charge while I do my puzzle with the other. We had a terrible winter & this was a godsend as I couldn't get out.

I volunteer at our library & it's amazing the number of people in it every day. Books have not died out, believe me.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I think libraries are VERY relevant! I live in another country so when we get to go home to the States for a while, I load the kids up and go to the library. It saves us a lot of money on books and we really enjoy it. I LOVE going to the library! I could spend all day there and be happy.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I love Libraries. I go all the time and my kids take my grandkids every week. I think libraries are relevant still today. I can see where they may not be in the future, but for now, we are OK.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Divya agarwal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-agarwal.html

Post by Divya agarwal »

I witnessed the decreasing popularity of physical libraries when one of it recently got closed in my place due to lack of visitors. Online reading and e-library have emerged as substitutes but i still believe that they cannot replace the traditional libraries entirely.

The first physical library i visited was of my school. Since then, they have always been relevant for me.

-- 20 Oct 2015, 01:02 --

I witnessed the decreasing popularity of physical libraries when one of it recently got closed in my place due to lack of visitors. Online reading and e-library have emerged as substitutes but i still believe that they cannot replace the traditional libraries entirely.

The first physical library i visited was of my school. Since then, they have always been relevant for me.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I enjoy the library. I read nearly all my books on kindle these days, but a lot of the e-books I've read lately have been borrowed from my local library/overdrive. When I decided to begin borrowing my kindle books I was grateful to have a local library to be learn the process at. But I also visit my local library when choosing things to read, or simply to have the smell of books around me. I have attended many book readings by authors at my local library too. I think that the libraries will always be relevant, as long as people love books and reading and may outlive most brick and mortar bookstores ultimately.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

Of course, if not for the children's programs alone. My child and I go to the library often. Seeing her excitement for the books puts joy in my heart as a writer myself. I would much rather hold a book that read it digitally. I still have my kindle and love that books are cheap that way, but truly prefer holding the book and turning the page.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I saw a cartoon that as in the Pittsburg Post Gazette in 2011 By Rogers of a kid sitting on Santa's lap saying "I want books, computers and the ability to travel through time and space!" Santa says "OK... Here's a Library Card!"
I thought it was perfect.
If I could find it to see if I can post it here I would.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Durkinator25

Post by Durkinator25 »

I have a library a block away from my house and I go there at least three times a week. I read too much and too fast to buy every book I read. If I really like a book and know I'll read it again then I'll buy it. The library also has great programs for my son who also enjoys readING and for every five books he reads he gets a special treat from the librarian. I don't like using eReaders. I had one once but a hurricane came in, the power went out and three hours into my book my reader died with no way of charging back up. Books never die :)
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

Also, Let's think realistically. There are still generations alive who would rather not read electronically and do not even have computers. Elderly individuals check out books all the time. Every time I'm in the library I see several of them checking out books. My parents alone check out about 10 books a week from the local library.
Angharad

Post by Angharad »

Sure. I volunteer in a family oriented library and we have lots of customers from toddlers to octogenarians. :wink:

However I must admit that for the last few years very few of the books I've read came from the library - first obstacle - I like reading English books. My library is German.
DFB

Post by DFB »

I'm at a library right now. I like to game on a desktop, but I'm not serious enough to invest in one for the home (also no home internet) They also do great job counseling here.
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

MarieMc wrote:I saw a cartoon that as in the Pittsburg Post Gazette in 2011 By Rogers of a kid sitting on Santa's lap saying "I want books, computers and the ability to travel through time and space!" Santa says "OK... Here's a Library Card!"
I thought it was perfect.
If I could find it to see if I can post it here I would.
WONDERFUL! This says it all.
poetryflies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetryflies.html

Post by poetryflies »

I believe so, they are a convenient source in communities for people who don't have access to the materials the library provides at home.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”