NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Post by tanner87cbs »

SeaNymph wrote: 18 Jan 2014, 14:30 I don't understand why someone shouldn't let their kids read Harry Potter. There is nothing wrong with the books. They are really harmless. I got the first book when I was really young. It was a gift from my mother. Especially nowadays that there are so many books that can be thought "dangerous" for kids, I think that the Harry Potter series is a really series for kids to read.
Well said, this is a point of contention between my wife and mom, unfortunately. We are Christians and my mom says it is demonic, and I say no, it is just a story and is harmless.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I am not a parent, but I grew up reading these books. I believe that they are harmless. The Harry Potter series sparked my love for reading.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I grew up near the Bible belt so I knew several people who weren't allowed to read the books or watch the movies. They didn't seem to care that much, but I didn't really understand why. If anything, the clear child abuse would be more of a reason to not read it than the witchcraft.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

My parents were totally against the series, but I read them when I started high school and absolutely loved them.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I enjoyed reading the books and would let my kids read them as well. I didn't like the movies, but I wouldn't stop them from watching.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

My parents do not like my reading habit or that i just spend so much on books. So i think its just every book for them and not only Harry Potter.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

My parents didn't really look into anything I read. So I got to read adult themed books at an early age. For that reason I avoid a lot of the romance genre. But my husband's mom, or my mother in law, is another story. She firmly believes JK Rowling is a devil worshipper, and the Harry Potter books will unleash demons into your soul should you read them. She's fun, my Mother in Law.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I was introduced to the series in 7th grade by my Language Arts teacher who treated us to story time every afternoon before school let out. I only read the first book by myself after that and owned two that were given as a gift and lost interest after book three. With all that said, the first books saved my biscuit, and grade, during high school in English Lit class as we had to read a book by an English (British) author.

With that said, it's understandable why not all parents won't be on board with allowing their child to read the series.
HPNerd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HPNerd »

I don't see the harm in it. I loved Harry Potter as a kid.
Christopher M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-m-1.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Christopher M 1 »

My parents never let me read them as a child because they believed the books were demonic and the author worshiped Satan. They thought the books were written specifically for the purpose of corrupting children and leading them to Satan. As soon as I moved out of the house, I started reading them and have loved them ever sense. To this day, I don't really understand what the big deal was and would definitely let my children read them.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

My ex husband’s family is very much against reading anything that involves wizards and magic. I do not see the harm in reading stories like Harry Potter. It is actually my favorite series . I know several parents that believe their children should not have mythical motivations. I just like to enjoy good books and I hope my daughter grows to love Harry Potter. Just because you read something doesn’t mean you have to live by it. I am understanding of conservative families. By no means would I degrade anyone who feels certain books are bad for their children.
Yamileth Martinez

Post by Yamileth Martinez »

harry potter is harmless to kids i know a girl who was in elementary an had alredy finished the series and she is a good kid
Bhavika kalra

Post by Bhavika kalra »

Harry Potter books are so amazing.They don't have any problem with reading. These books are so adventours .The golden trio Harry Potter,Ron, Weasley, Hermione Granger is so amazing.loved reading the books.jk Rowling has done a superb job by making such a nice a nice books with such a good story
Sarah Ojomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-ojomo.html
Latest Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by Sarah Ojomo »

Harry Potter is one of my favorite book series ever. I loved all the books and I don't see the harm in letting children read it.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Harmless. The first few books are amazing for children, thought they certainly will have a difficult time grasping the concepts of the following books. It's not a hard book by any means, but it does get progressively darker.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”