Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by EMoffat »

I hate it!! I used to read my books so meticulously that I could have returned them for a full refund once finished. If I find books with notes in them, or really battered then I just get upset
Lizetherrz
Currently Reading: The sweet patato queens of love
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Lizetherrz »

I dont like seeing other peoples writting in books. Lol But, I am guilty of doing the writing and than after a while i regret it. I have now learned to jot whatever it is on a sheet of paper. I do underline something that really gets my attention.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I absolutely hate when people write in books! Many of my books come from used book stores that write the price on one of the pages in the book. It drives me insane!! The worst is when I buy a book and didn't notice that people had written in the margins of a few of the pages. I've had ones that had spoilers in the first chapter. So much anger!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I think I've mentioned this in another thread but I'll repeat it for those who didn't see it.

There is a very simple method for highlighting text in a book which is invisible to anyone but yourself and it will keep all of your books free of ugly markings which I consider a sin.

On the page which contains the text you wish to make note of place a simple tiny dot in pencil in the margin next to the line which begins the text of interest. On one of the flyleaves in the back of the book record the page number lightly in pencil and perhaps a keyword or two to remind you what the notation is about. Continue adding dots as you read and page numbers to the same flyleaf as you go on. This remains a permanent record within the book of your notes but anyone who reads the book in the future will not notice the small dot; you will, because you will be looking for it. Years later you might want to review something from that book and you will have a record of everything you found interesting contained within each individual book.

Also, use the very smallest Post It notes as bookmarks. Not only can you bookmark the exact page but also exactly where you left off. Use one color for the place you are reading and and others of another color for places in the book you feel you might wish to return to later to read more thoroughly. You can even write notes on the Post Its to remind you why you put it there in the first place. In time the Post Its will lose their adhesion properties so put a couple of extras on the inside of the book's back cover to replace them if and when needed - they're cheap.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I've been known to write in text books, but not in any other kind of book.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Reading through this I'm actually surprised at the number of people who dislike writing in books! I used to be on the same grain where my books had to be in perfect condition, no cracked spine, no dog ears, no writing in books, but it all changed for me when I took my English class and a creative writing class my senior year of high school. It felt so liberating to write my thoughts while reading. I felt like I was actively engaging in reading the text. I even passed on one of my books to a friend of mine and he loved reading my thoughts on passages. My mom, however, was a bit angry that I had "ruined" my copy of Frankenstein. Someone said a while back that it was okay if that person was famous or becoming famous to write in books, but I say it doesn't matter who you are! I know for certain if I found a book that my parents had written in, I'd cherish that book forever. On top of that, I feel like reading a book with notes in it lets you almost read that book along with the person who left the notes. You get to take in some of their thoughts and feelings. It's a beautiful thing to do, in my opinion, no matter what kind of book it is!
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

If I need to take notes about a book then I use a scrap paper as a book mark, I never write in the book itself. That said, I have a couple poetry books that were my grandmothers that she and her sister wrote notes to each other about things that poems reminded them of and I love it.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

For me, I do not scribble on my books. I think in order to preserve the book's dignity as well, it needs to be treated with utmost care. Even tiny writings shouldn't be done with them. I understand the necessity of underlining passages that you like especially when you can relate to it. But why not just write it in a notebook where you can compile all of your favorite quotes.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Ahh... As for textbooks, I am guilty of this. I often underline paragraphs and write notes and even write random meaningless things when I am distracted. But in story books? NEVER!
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I do in textbooks and my Bible. Otherwise my fiction remains pristine. No dog-eared pages or cracked bindings for me! I don’t lend my books out for that reason. I have a paperback of the Hobbit I first read in the 70s that is still mint after dozens of readings.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

It's really annoying. Everyone seems to hate it yet someone still does it.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I can't stand when people write in books. I know it's a great way to dig deeper into the book and organize the information you get from it, but it makes me angry when books are written in. I feel they last longer when they're not abused with writing. If you need to take notes, use a piece of paper or a notebook, please :shock2: . I'm also one that refuses to dog-ear books as a bookmark. That's also abuse, in my opinion.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I write in my books all the time. In fiction and non-fiction, I make note of lines or passages that I like. In non-fiction, I sometimes write margin notes to help me quickly find a passage later or note a question I might want to research. If I'm reading for a book club, class, or Bible study, I make even more notes to remind me of things to discuss.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

The only time I've written in a book was last semester when I was working on an essay. I had to underline what quotes I wanted to use. To be honest, I hate writing in books. If a book has writing in it, I just tolerate it.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I never write in books. It feels almost like I would be abusing the books. I didn't even write in my college textbooks in undergraduate or graduate work. It was difficult for me to buy a used textbook in college that someone had written in. It is distracting.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”