Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I hate to admit it, but I'm often guilty of picking up a book due to its looks (cover art, style and size) lol
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I know people say it's bad to judge a book by its cover, but I think it is important to, sometimes. A cover can tell you how much effort has been put into its publication, its vibes can reveal genre and/or target audience, and a cover is literally the first thing you look at. If you're looking at a book with a bad cover (such as self-published books that are cut/paste images), sometimes you'll realise when reading the book that it isn't about what it promised it would be, the editing is bad, or the book itself is a mess of genre elements that don't work together.

A cover can sometimes reveal a lot about a book, but it should never be solely judged on these things. An author doesn't always have sway over the book cover, and not all publishers work to find out what the author's content is. But I do believe covers matter.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is also a true assertion that a cover can communicate a lot about the book and its quality. Anyone who cannot spend some quality time and effort on the cover may, therefore, lose many potential readers.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

Yes and no, depending on the title.

The covers can help with "is this going to be an x-rated romance book?" (something I don't like to read) and "is this going to be a thriller?" (not good for my anxiety).

I've bought books because the cover made the book look like it was going to be about the kinds of stories I like to read, and the book ends up being the exact opposite.

I've also seen books that look like they're going to be a romance, but end up being a fantasy that's safe for children, and books with covers intended to draw in a male audience but the books are 90% super-girly romances that have nothing to do with the cover and summary.

So it's really nice when the cover can tell you what the book is going to be about.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

15foleyr wrote: 08 Dec 2013, 22:15 Unfortunately, I do tend to judge books by their covers. There are some AMAZING covers that perfectly capture the story or at least are aesthetically pleasing and draw your eye. My favorite cover right now (aka what is on the front of my bookshelf so I can bathe in the beauty of it) is Champion by Marie Lu. It's 1st on my TBR so once my schedule dies down a bit I can get to it :) Anywho... WHAT I HATE are those cheesy shots of people that just look... off. I don't know... but if you can't afford to make a great cover with photography (like TMI or TID by Cassie Clare) do something simple. Simplicity can be beautiful... and with a little effort, the simplicity can stand out. I do have to admit, a lot of times authors do not get a say in what their covers look like, so I don't blame them. But, to all the publishers out there: maybe your SHOULD spend time on the cover, because like it or not, even the most avid readers might judge a book by it's cover.
Agreed! I know what you mean, some of the people just look so fake and cheesy it's hard to pick up the book. I tend to judge more by title. If there is a solid title I will pick it up eve if the cover is terrible. However, some titles are just so obscure and leave you wondering why they picked it.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I'm not sure I do. An attractive cover draws my attention and makes me want to read a book, but I always go on and read a synopsis to become aware of what it's about. On the other hand, I think I may dismiss a book just because its cover is not interesting. I know I shouldn't, but it happens.
Demotronic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demotronic »

I believe it is human's nature to see the outside before venturing into the inside. So yes, most of the times, I do get intrigued by a good design/title of the book.
Logically speaking, we always tell ourselves that the value of a book is mostly intrinsic.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I do have a bad habit of tending to pass judgments on books by their covers. Also, while admitting to doing so I have actually read some really great books behind those covers that I initially thought not to be interesting or good based on their cover also vise versa.
Chelsea N. Hackett
gabbyj99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gabbyj99 »

I used to honestly judge by the covers, but as I get older they only somewhat interest me. Some horrible books have amazing covers, while others are the exact opposite
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I often judge a book by its cover and m usually wrong in my judgement. A bad looking cover often has a good book inside.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I love a really nice cover. A clean, well cared for book with colours and images that are pleasing to the eye will attract me to a book. I will only buy it if the plot interests me, but I admit when it doesn't i'm a little disappointed because that book would look great on my shelf!
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I avoided accepting that but yes I do judge books by their covers. I like books with bright eye-catching colours. But if the blurb doesn't work in its favour then the cover isn't much use.
Duryen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duryen.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Duryen »

I have to admit that the cover can have an influence on whether I read a book. I have read almost all of Ilona Andrews' books, but I have a very hard time bringing myself to read her series that have stereotypical "trash romance" covers. I've even checked the books out from my online library a couple of times, but other books become available and become more compelling before I ever start them. I love the author in general and need to get over my resistance.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

Yes sadly I do. There is something about book covers that if it's not pleasing to the eye, it automatically makes me not eager to read the book.
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I always judge a book by its cover and its title. If it doesn't capture my attention than I am unlikely to read it, unless it was recommended to me. Maybe not the best way, but I have found a lot of great books that way.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”