Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nani23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by Nani23 »

Like if the book cover has a picture that caught your eye and, it somehow intrigued you. Or what happens? What makes you want to read that book?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

No, I don't. A good cover will make me pick up the book, but only the plot will cause me to read the book. If the cover was great but the plot was lousy, I would put the book back on the shelve. An interesting plot and a good writing skill will make me read the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

If I like the cover, I will usually buy the book. There are some that I just said "no" to because the graphics on the cover seemed mediocre. I have probably missed out on some great reads that way.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

No, even if the cover looks good, the summary has to sound good in order for me to buy the book.
15foleyr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-15foleyr.html

Post by 15foleyr »

Unfortunately, I do tend to judge books by their covers. There are some AMAZING covers that perfectly capture the story or at least are aesthetically pleasing and draw your eye. My favorite cover right now (aka what is on the front of my bookshelf so I can bathe in the beauty of it) is Champion by Marie Lu. It's 1st on my TBR so once my schedule dies down a bit I can get to it :) Anywho... WHAT I HATE are those cheesy shots of people that just look... off. I don't know... but if you can't afford to make a great cover with photography (like TMI or TID by Cassie Clare) do something simple. Simplicity can be beautiful... and with a little effort, the simplicity can stand out. I do have to admit, a lot of times authors do not get a say in what their covers look like, so I don't blame them. But, to all the publishers out there: maybe your SHOULD spend time on the cover, because like it or not, even the most avid readers might judge a book by it's cover.
jmalone1994
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Ink Exchange
Currently Reading: The Blood of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmalone1994.html
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by jmalone1994 »

I judge books by there covers all the time! Lol. I know I shouldn't, but if the book doesn't have an appealing cover it just won't get my attention. :)
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Post by tstaf4d »

I am really reluctant to pick up books that have couples on the covers or a close-up on a person's face. To me, a cover like that translates to egotism (which is most likely just something I connect). However, I do try to push passed that and read the summary and the first page or so. If it grabs my interest I read it, if not, back on the shelf it goes.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Yes, pretty much all the time, but it's limited to selecting books for fun & entertainment. Chick lit novels, light-hearted romance novels, travel guide books, celebrity (auto)biographies, things like that.
When it comes to classics, no. A beautiful cover would be icing on the cake, tho.
stephaniejean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniejean.html

Post by stephaniejean »

If I'm browsing through the shelves at the library or a bookstore, the cover is usually what convinces me to initially pick up the book. I always read the summary or excerpt, though, to see if it sounds like something I would want to read. I've never intentionally skipped over a book because of the cover, though.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I'm a reader of classics. I know for a fact that no book can be deemed great or ghastly by the picture that's printed on the front of it. I have to say, though, that most of the books laid over with stunning colors and depictions don't normally contain the most philosophical stuff. ;) Sometimes it doesn't hurt to just stare at the cover for awhile admiring another kind of art, though. :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
kientaoviet

Post by kientaoviet »

A good cover will make me pick up the book
DATo

Post by DATo »

I am always mindful that a good cover does not necessarily guarantee that what is inside the book compares in literary artistry; and conversely, a plain looking or blandly rendered cover-artistry does not necessarily belie the quality of the writing. I must confess however that the eye (my eye) can be attracted by a beautiful or interesting cover.

The book I am currently reading however, The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton, is a good example of a novel which has book covers which are worthy of the beautiful and masterfully written story they embrace.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

It's hard to find a book like that, isn't it, one that has a great style to it and a nice illustration to match? Always a fun find. By the way, DATo, I like your signature. Book humor is some of the best. ;)
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I won't read a book because of it's cover, but that is often why I pick it up to read the summary. Unfortunately, I probably miss a lot of good books because their covers don't catch my eye.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
Jessicer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicer.html

Post by Jessicer »

I want to say no, but I have to say I do. But I won't buy the book just buy the cover, if it has a nice blurb and seems like a book I'd enjoy, then I'd buy it. I wouldn't just buy it because it looks pretty. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”