What book has stuck with you throughout the years?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Catreeves16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catreeves16.html
Latest Review: No Reprieve: by Inge-Lise Goss
Reading Device: 1400699894

What book has stuck with you throughout the years?

Post by Catreeves16 »

Of course, the classics have elements that you may think about now and then. Are there any lesser known books with themes, ideas or events that have stuck with you or inspired you?

I am reading The Heavens Before by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow for about the 50th time (exaggerating of course, but I have read it multiple times since my teenage years). As a Christian, I hold the same beliefs, but the Bible doesn't exactly describe the world as created and how it may have changed during the flood. I love this book in that it is a possibility. I love reading different fictional versions of Biblical and historical events.

How about you?
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Post by Robert Potter »

While I wouldn't consider myself particularly religious anymore, I've always loved books and video games that play on the themes and theology of the bible. From a pure action-oriented visual sense, there's nothing more badass than angels and demons locked in an eternal struggle for the fate of humanity. The book of Revelation is worth reading just for the visuals in my opinion.

Anyway, back to your question. For me, I'd say Ta-Nehisi Coates' We Were Eight Years In Power. It's such an illumniating look at the Obama years as well as his personal growth as a writer. He is such a smart writer. I read it a couple years ago, but I've thought about it with some frequency since. It's so good.
:tiphat:

Where you can also find me: https://robertthewriter.substack.com
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. It brings up topics that are probably relevant today: One character, a driver with a horse and carriage, couldn't make it to church on a Sunday because he was morally obligated to drive someone somewhere and he sort of wrestles with the notion that people will insinuate that he's a bad person because he didn't go to church. Merrylegs is a dapple grey pony that a family uses to "teach" children how to ride and if the children are misbehaving, he wouldn't buck them off, but would rear up and let them slide off his back. One lady helps to calm down a man who is whipping his pony because the pony tried to turn (at its normal place) when the man wanted him to go straight. It deals with the use of blinkers on horses at the time as well as some piece of tack (can't remember the name) that forced carriage horses to hold their heads up constantly, which impeded their ability to pull heavy loads uphill, for the sake of fashion. The impracticality of fashion in people, even today, is sometimes questionable. It talks about the importance of ignorance and how it can cause damage - to paraphrase, the lesson/question is that ignorance is the worst thing in the world next to wickedness. One example was a woman who gave her infant too much laudanum and ended up killing her own child. Philosophically speaking, or from a legal context and depending on what the definition of "wickedness" actually is, this is a very relevant topic even today.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Book_lover87
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Book_lover87 »

Of course I have my personal favorites that I love to re-read, because they are fun. One of the more in depth books that has stuck with me is Narrative if the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. These have mad me appreciate what I have so much more. I will never be able to forget the things that happened to these people.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

That would be Harry Potter ❤️
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. This book series have left a deep impression in me. There is also the famous Harry Potter.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo and Sibyl by Flora Schreiber. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

100% the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman. I first read it about seven years ago and it completely hooked me and I have never looked back. I just loved the way that she completely flips society on its head into a dystopian world where racism works the other way round. The way society works is so interesting to me, so this series really stuck with me, especially the first book, Noughts and Crosses.
courtneydiane33

Post by courtneydiane33 »

The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Sukh_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sukh.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sukh_ »

I read "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D Salinger my junior year of high school and it really stuck with me. The book is kind of depressing in my opinion but still one of my favorites.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

Little Women and Great Expectations are the two books that have always stuck with me and I like to revisit no matter my age or current situation. I think for both books I keep thinking that something will change in them lol like all of a sudden the characters will do something different
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

The Pillars of the earth and The eagle has landed..Then, The day of the jackal..
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The classic book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I read and re-read the book and I've seen all of the movie adaptations. I feel that the way the characters behave is still similar to what we have today. It's amazing how we haven't actually changed much.
Beth8210

Post by Beth8210 »

It happened to Nancy. Authors last name Sparks. Amazing book about a young girl who contracted aids when she made a poor decision and died at a young age. Also Chinese Cinderella sad but very good read.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Worldlines by Adam Guest.
The story features a multiverse concept. A young boy called Jackson Gary committed a terrible crime in a dream, yet a member of his family claims to have witnessed the crime. You may be wondering how? It is a book thank I can't take off my mind.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”