Self-Help Books and Research

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Self-Help Books and Research

Post by engarl »

Hey Bookies! I just finished reading and writing a review on a self-help book, and while I was doing it, I couldn't help but wonder if I was being too picky, so I wanted to get others' opinions. So here's what I would like to know, do self-help books need to be founded on research or is the author's (or authors') personal, anecdotal experience enough?

Personally, I lean more towards the research side. Just because something works for someone (in this case, the author) doesn't guarantee that it will work for the general population....and so publishing that kernel of advice as being life changing seems kind of superficial to me, without the research that backs that broad statement up. At the same time though, we live in a world where people's personal, anecdotal experiences are perceived as authentic and are therefore interpreted as truth... Anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts!
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I am not a huge fan of self-help books, probably because I am normally perceived as a stabilizer by most who get to know me well. What I have found, or have tried to be cautious of is the possibility of making things worse because one assumes that their experience is the standard. Probably some sort of a safety in numbers mentality. Not necessarily for the purpose of dragging someone else into their own problems or mindset, but because they don't want to be alone. It makes sense because most people are not lone wolf types. There was an episode of "Friends" and I think it was Rachel who was asking Ross about his blind date and because his date didn't show up, she said something to the effect that it was because the "date" came in, saw him, and then left upon seeing him. Ross might have never thought of it, so it was just kind of a dig that made him feel worse or reminded him of something he already thought. If a self-help book took into account possible options, rather than just presenting one solution, then this problem could likely be avoided. However, sometimes a narrow minded or very specific viewpoint is right on and would be the most helpful. The intended audience is probably also relevant. If the book is not going to be published in large numbers or if it isn't readily available, then the more narrow minded the approach, the less likely the book will even reach an audience that can understand the point.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Post by Robert Potter »

I don't read a ton of self-help books but my inclination is to agree with you. I think too many people get hoodwinked by pseudo-science nonsense that isn't really backed up by anything these days so your instinct to be incredibly picky is a good one. That being said, depending on how the book is framed, the author elaborating on their personal experience isn't necessarily bad. I think as long as their clear that it is their personal experience or maybe using it as an example of something they've researched heavily.
:tiphat:

Where you can also find me: https://robertthewriter.substack.com
engarl

Post by engarl »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 02:23 I am not a huge fan of self-help books, probably because I am normally perceived as a stabilizer by most who get to know me well. What I have found, or have tried to be cautious of is the possibility of making things worse because one assumes that their experience is the standard. Probably some sort of a safety in numbers mentality. Not necessarily for the purpose of dragging someone else into their own problems or mindset, but because they don't want to be alone. It makes sense because most people are not lone wolf types. There was an episode of "Friends" and I think it was Rachel who was asking Ross about his blind date and because his date didn't show up, she said something to the effect that it was because the "date" came in, saw him, and then left upon seeing him. Ross might have never thought of it, so it was just kind of a dig that made him feel worse or reminded him of something he already thought. If a self-help book took into account possible options, rather than just presenting one solution, then this problem could likely be avoided. However, sometimes a narrow minded or very specific viewpoint is right on and would be the most helpful. The intended audience is probably also relevant. If the book is not going to be published in large numbers or if it isn't readily available, then the more narrow minded the approach, the less likely the book will even reach an audience that can understand the point.
I like that thought! And it kind of serves to illustrate one of my fears about self-help books that don't utilize research about the principles the teach: the power of suggestion. I studied psychology in college and there are a lot of things that I worry about when it comes to people touting unverified facts as truth. We, as humans, are highly suggestible and not typically in the business of researching every side of a story. So what may seem like truth at the onset, could be untrue in another situation or for another person, but without that perspective, people could rely on fundamentally untrue principles to guide the important decisions in their lives.
engarl

Post by engarl »

Robert Potter wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:14 I don't read a ton of self-help books but my inclination is to agree with you. I think too many people get hoodwinked by pseudo-science nonsense that isn't really backed up by anything these days so your instinct to be incredibly picky is a good one. That being said, depending on how the book is framed, the author elaborating on their personal experience isn't necessarily bad. I think as long as their clear that it is their personal experience or maybe using it as an example of something they've researched heavily.
I absolutely agree with you! In my review, I didn't want to seem like I was invalidating their personal experience. I know that these kinds of revelations and events in one's life are completely valid to them, but I hesitate to apply truths and principles gained from one story or event to all situations and peoples because life isn't as simple and homogenous as that!
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think you're right in leaning more towards research. Nowadays, Freud's theories are criticized as being biased because his patients were mostly wealthy women. In such cases then, maybe his findings would be appropriate for only wealthy women. Or, in this day and age, hardly even appropriate at all. I wrote a review on the book "Becoming Nobody" by Richard Branch and I thought it was somewhat negative and that if viewed as a self-help book for sensitive people, it may even be detrimental. (I think it wasn't intended as a self-help book - it's an organization of thoughts) I wondered if it was because he was a twin and, as such, he has a different perspective on the world. Even if twins don't, they hear that they are expected to and probably run with it to some degree. It sounds as if you are looking for a blanket approach towards people or wondering if such a thing exists. I think blanket approaches can work on certain levels - person related to the hierarchy of needs table? I took Psych 101 in college and I didn't really care for it so I can't remember who defined that table, but it would be a place to start.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I see where you're coming from.

Personally, when I read self help books, I prefer the realness of having real life anecdotes rather than research-facts I can search for on my own if I wanted.
I just feel it is easier for me to relate to personal experiences rather than cold clinical research.
As long as the author is clear about this.
But, that is just me!.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
engarl

Post by engarl »

zainherb wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 08:38 I see where you're coming from.

Personally, when I read self help books, I prefer the realness of having real life anecdotes rather than research-facts I can search for on my own if I wanted.
I just feel it is easier for me to relate to personal experiences rather than cold clinical research.
As long as the author is clear about this.
But, that is just me!.
No, I totally see where you’re coming from :) personal experiences are some of the most powerful, which is why I love Left To Tell by Immanuel Ilibigaeza (I’m pretty sure I spelled her last name wrong). I think as long as the author is clear that what they’re writing is personal experience and not statements of fact that are not backed up by research, then I totally go for that :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”