Do you like to collect book markers?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Do you like to collect book markers?

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I used to love collecting bookmarks. Now, though, I usually just use a piece of paper. For some reason, I always end up losing bookmarks.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I love book markers. The different shapes, quote's and elaborate illustrations, make them essential to reading a book.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I used to do this when I was very young. My grandmother got me into it, and greatly encouraged me to read from the time I was just beginning to talk. She would keep every one she came across, and whenever we went on our journey to the library we would get to pick one out of a pile on the checkout counter. She would get them from magazines and sometimes her town's little grocery store. My mom started to get me some as well: metal ones, shaped ones that clipped onto pages, ones with my school pictures on them, etc. I loved all of them, especially the ones with creatures or characters from books I loved the most. It was like collecting stamps, I guess.

I don't know when I stopped. I think around when I was entering middle school I lost some and started throwing away ones that were torn and frayed. I get a little emotional whenever I find one that manages to have survived through the numerous moves I've made. I might start collecting them again, actually.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I do! And I usually enjoy making my own out of dried flowers and other objects laying around the house. I find them pretty and they sometimes remind me of great books I was enjoying when I first got them. :D
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
-Tinuthien-
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinuthien.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by -Tinuthien- »

I started using holiday postcards as bookmarkers after a trip to Rome (where I bought way too many as souvenirs). Now I collect postcards to use as bookmarkers (and I got way too many)
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I really don't have them. I always use a piece of paper instead.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes, I collect book marks. But I also make book marks of my own.
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

I started collecting years ago and liked it pretty much. I also make them. It's fun!
Varshaa
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Series #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varshaa.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Varshaa »

I once used to collect them. And now I have enough of them. I am particularly attracted to those with cute and funny quotes on them.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Yup. I have a small pile of them that I keep on my bookcase.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DE Navarro »

I kind of collect book markers. What I mean by that is I don't specifically do it as a hobby, I don't catalog them in any way, I don't scan through them or display them anywhere, I just have a jar and when I get one it goes into the jar and there are hundreds of them in the jar. I find many old bookmarkers in used books when I go book hunting and I grab them and add them to the jar. Some day I may look through them. Perhaps I can do a volume of "found" or "discovered" poetry using the book markers as the basis of the poems in the book.
AbandonedProfile1
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annica-steyn.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by AbandonedProfile1 »

I have quite a few but can never find them when I need one and am ashamed to admit I am that person that often sticks a random receipt or piece of paper in between the pages instead :shifty:
DE Navarro

Post by DE Navarro »

Annica Steyn wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 15:05 I have quite a few but can never find them when I need one and am ashamed to admit I am that person that often sticks a random receipt or piece of paper in between the pages instead :shifty:
No need to be ashamed. I often use receipts or other thin scraps. It's actually better for the book. Sometimes a bookmarker can be thick and if tugged into the center can stretch the binding of the book. Sometimes this makes the book want to naturally open to that page where the thick bookmark damaged the binding by stretching it.
AbandonedProfile1
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annica-steyn.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by AbandonedProfile1 »

I have never thought about it like that, thank you for lessening my shame... I like to think that re-using scraps of paper also gives them extra purpose in life :)
DE Navarro

Post by DE Navarro »

Annica Steyn wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 04:04 I have never thought about it like that, thank you for lessening my shame... I like to think that re-using scraps of paper also gives them extra purpose in life :)
Reuse, repurpose, recycle. Always a good policy in stewarding our planet. Here are two poems I thought you might be interested in reading in light of "reuse, repurpose, and recycle.

Have a great weekend!
Last edited by gali on 14 Aug 2021, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”