Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
J-Smith-33013
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Post by J-Smith-33013 »

I do feel guilty if I don't finish reading a book. Even if a book is bad I will still finish it. There have been many of books I have read that I finished but wouldn't get the next book in a series because by the end I didn't connect with the characters or story enough to care what happens next.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

Yes, I feel guilty if I don't finish a book, like I'm not doing to book justice or not giving it a chance. I also feel that I am cheating myself out of the knowledge you gain from reading.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I do not like to leave books unfinished. I will force myself to finish reading it even if I don't enjoy it because I don't like to leave them.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I used to feel very guilty if I didn't finish a book, especially if had paid for it. As I have gotten older though it bothers me less. I have just so much free time and why waste it on something I am not enjoying? Besides, there are so many other books out there...
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

No, I usually just file it back in my book collections for another time. You never know you might actually finish it one day
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Fanie32
Currently Reading: Parenting Adolescents
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Fanie32 »

I don't like quitting on books. It haunts me for years! How does the strory end????
Sometimes books are boring and I put them down for a while but eventually return to them. The last book I didn't finish was a historical novel about surgeons. I left it beside the bathtub and it got soaked. Now I'll have to buy another copy! I found it on Amazon yay!
Sakhya
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakhya.html

Post by Sakhya »

I used to feel really guilty and would force myself to finish reading a book even if I hated it
Now a days, if I found myself hating a book I´m reading then I´ll just let it rest and try reading it agains some time in the near future.
Keldobbins

Post by Keldobbins »

yes, there's only been a couple of times where I just could not finish.. but I hate it when that happens.
Saraheve
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Virals</a>
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saraheve.html

Post by Saraheve »

I don't if the book has some think bad then I will stop. Like "The Gift " my mind didn't like it so I stop and never read it. I do have all the books because I bot it in a set.
e_legere72
Currently Reading: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm #1)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-legere72.html

Post by e_legere72 »

Once I start a book I do try and finish it. However, I do have several books going at one time. So I will switch to another, and return later or another day. I found that sometimes the reason I can not get into a book is because I'm not in the right mood or mindset.
Angie0184

Post by Angie0184 »

I can only think of one time that I didn't finish a book. It was called eight white nights and I hated it! I typically don't quit before I finish a book because I can't stand not knowing what happened. Had to give it up on this one though, there was no plot and just pages and pages of descriptions that did nothing to add to the story.
Yana-Nav
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yana-nav.html

Post by Yana-Nav »

Yes, I feel guilty, and I feel like I've wasted the book. If/when I get a new book, I have this thing, kind of like a routine, where I have to read so many chapters, and I have to finish the book. There are times where I haven't finished a book and I felt like it was such a waste that I got the book. But I remind myself that I won't always like a book that I get, and I can donate it or give it to my aunt or cousin who loves reading books.
Jennifer Juniper

Post by Jennifer Juniper »

No I don't feel guilty. Life is too short to waste reading a book that I'm not enjoying. Too many good books out there that I could be reading instead. I always read at least 25% of a book before I make the decision to quit, but once I do I don't look back.
Christina9030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina9030.html

Post by Christina9030 »

On one hand I feel like I should give every book it's chance by reading it to the end. This way I make sure not to miss out on a good book. However on the other hand that's time that I could have spent reading something better. I guess most of the time I finish whatever book I start but there are those times where I just really can't get into the book and I set it aside for somethings better.
adrinnaaa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrinnaaa.html

Post by adrinnaaa »

No, I do not feel guilty if I don't finish a book. If it doesn't peak my general interest anymore then why continue reading it?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”