Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rebelfleur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Post by rebelfleur »

Sort of even when the book sucks but i would rather read good books then just read anything
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Guilty as charged!! Maybe it's a litter bit of an OCD thing for reading, but yes! For me, it's actually to the point that I will skim and flip pages so I technically didn't just quit reading it. There was only one book ever that I didn't finish and didn't care. My expectations were WAAAY over what the hype was about it. It was twelve years of slave. The major reason of disappointment was because it was suppose to be about him, his feelings, what went on with him. I found that at first, (mind you, I never made it past chapter 4), that he was telling other people's stories and not getting the direct Intel from his side. Frustration set in and I was absolutely done and deleted it. I honestly tried hard to continue as it love books such as this. So much insight and beautiful inspiration from them. However, that wasn't the case for me on this one.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
BookLover1114
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1114.html

Post by BookLover1114 »

ahh, an age old question! well, maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me :lol2:
There have been plenty of times when I am reading a book and, for the life of me, I just can't get into it. I ALWAYS go back and try to finish it though. Its like you said, you never know if youll miss out on something good. I guess I do sort of feel guilty if I don't read them to the end. I think book are magical, and I always let myself get lost in their world, so it feels like a reading betrayal not to finish it. However, there have been times where a book is unreadable for me at one point, but then months (or even years later) I will attempt to read it again and I find it is amazing!
I really enjoyed reading The Host! I wasn't to fond of the movie though :snooty:
AOlsen23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolsen23.html

Post by AOlsen23 »

Most of the time, I read for value, to learn and think. If a book is on my to-read list, you can bet I've put a fair amount of consideration into whether or not to read it. Nine times out of ten, I will finish, but if the book turns out to have so little worth that I'd benefit more from putting it down and picking up something else, I will stop reading. From experience I've learned to not force myself to read something of little value.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

Absolutely do, which is why I can't not finish a book. The only book I can even remotely imagine leaving unfinished is Mein Kampf, and that is because I've heard it is absolutely rubbish (which shouldn't be a huge shocker). I'll sadly power through books I'm really disliking just so I can give it a fair review. I know I know, life is too short to read stuff you aren't enjoying, but that guilt DOES set in. I have mental issues though so let's just chalk it up to that!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

Definitely. Well, not really guilty, I just don't like not finishing a story. If the writing is pretty terrible though, I don't have too much trouble letting a book go to rest.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
Great_Novel_Review
Currently Reading: Stranger In A Strange Land
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-novel-review.html

Post by Great_Novel_Review »

:techie-studyinggray: If the book is of quality and I am wanting to finish the book....I feel compelled to find some time to finish it. If the book is truly a chore to get through I don't worry about it. Or if the book is of poor quality the answer is no.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes, I feel guilty. I feel that I have an unfinished business if I left a book without completing it til the end.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I try to give books a chance and stick with them to the end, but sometimes that is difficult to do. I do feel guilty if I put a book down and don't finish it. Sometimes I give it a few weeks and will start over. I always try to tell myself that maybe I was in a bad mood when I tried to read it. Usually though that isn't the case.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

If a book has captured my attention, even for a moment, I finish it to the end. I worry about missing the moment it turns to greatness, as well, so I generally finish the entire thing. But more often than not it results in me being angry with the author lol.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
C-Schleiff
Currently Reading: Orchids and Stone
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-schleiff.html

Post by C-Schleiff »

I feel guilty if I start a book but don't finish. For me, it's like entering another world and witnessing the lives of the characters. I become connected to the story and attached to the characters even if I'm not truly captivated, and I find it hard to leave without knowing the outcomes.
DustiRose3
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustirose3.html

Post by DustiRose3 »

If I find myself paying more attention to my phone or video games than my book, I know for sure it is not the book for me. I feel a little sad sometimes if I can't get into it, especially if the plot line is good, but I would rather read something I don't want to put down.
Punt123

Post by Punt123 »

All of the time! Cannot believe I stumbled across this topic as this defines me perfectly! I must finish a book if I have started reading it especially if I am more than a couple of days in.
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

I do feel guilty not finishing a book if I started it. I have had to a few times and I still feel I should go back and finish them some day.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

Yes. It does not matter if the author is new or old. Why? It the one quote from Walt Whitman about reading all books. I feel like I failed if I cannot finish books. I have taken notes from authors like Whitman, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc about writing styles. The downside is that I can be more critical when reading new authors. These authors have taught me that certain things in writing should always be. I also have taken notes from certain college professors. These notes are about the different writing style.

Blessings?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”