What book feature turns you away from choosing a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Re: What book feature turns you away from choosing a book?

Post by Airam Velarde »

What will usually turn me away from a book would be the synopsis, if it's not interesting enough for me then I won't read the book. As for book covers, I really don't like when they are full of reviews and you can't find the summary of the book anywhere. Also, as some people mentioned earlier, I don't like romance book covers with half naked people on them. This is why I won't usually read romance books, especially if the characters have cheesy names and they keep using their full name (both first and last name) over and over throughout the story.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

If the cover is something silly, that is mostly the feature that turns me away from a book.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

If the book description isn't interesting I won't get a book. I've never rejected a book based on its cover art alone.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

A bad cover turns me away from books, certainly. I also put it down immediately if there is no synopsis on the back. If the author has written a good story, but has no style and doesn't write well I'll probably put the book down as well.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Honestly I won't pick up a book if I don't like the cover. I just love pretty books; they look great on my shelves and I love looking at them and ugh. Sometimes I even buy a book more than once because new editions with prettier covers come out. ._.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
WinterCandyMints
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Agreed. I'm easily turned away from any romance novel. I can't stand them. I'm also tirned away if there are any chances of random nude people. I hate "love scenes". I think it's unnesaccary and just weird. I just want an awesome adventure, not intense kissing.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

If the main female falls for the guy even though he forces things on her or makes her choose between her friends/family and him...the book's immediately put down. Same thing goes for any book where you can tell just by the cover/title/blurb that it's gonna be ALL base, boring sex with no actual characters, but rather sex puppets. The "wild Irish man" or "tormented soul" dude really turns me off too.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

A bad cover would turn me away. Sorry. But also characters with really thick accents that are hard to read.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I also am turned off by many of the romance novel covers--some of them are so cheesy! I also don't like fantasy novel covers that depict scantily clad "warrior" women, either. I automatically assume that those books are going to have sexist overtones, so I don't even bother with them.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

i look at subject matter.
it the book has any thing to do with sports or "cheesy" romance then I wont pick the book up.
a lot of the time ill look at the cover to, if i am not drawn to the cover of a book, then i probably wont pick it up either.
Kershhie
Favorite Author: Alexandra Bracken
Favorite Book: The darkest Minds
Currently Reading: In the Afterlight and King Hall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kershhie.html
fav_author_id: 763

Post by Kershhie »

For some reason I hate old covers..
So if I see a book with one of them really old, soppy, Romance covers with a shirtless man and a girl clinging to his eight-pack toned chest... Then no.
Just... No.
I avoid. But also I don't like autobiographies and I don't know why. :mrgreen:
snowrivver
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Thief of Time - Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowrivver.html
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by snowrivver »

One of those book blurbs that is three or four bold lines of text telling me absolutely nothing about the book in question, you know the sentences that only make sense after you've read the book? With so many good books out there that I want to read, finding an interesting looking cover with just a picture to sell it to me is a good way to make me forget it. I'm much more likely to look up a book if it's got something to say for itself to pull me in.
designerrosa
Favorite Author: Michael LeBoeuf
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by G. Classon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-designerrosa.html

Post by designerrosa »

carag4 wrote:If the picture on the cover would make me embarrassed to be seen with it in public (most romance 8) 8) 8) novels), I used to be turned away from choosing them. This problem has been solved by ebooks :D
Ha ha, that gets me too. I love reading James Hardley Chase but the sleazy covers always embarrass me. The cover of most romance novels turn me off from buying. :D
Kaatiya13

Post by Kaatiya13 »

I know it is always said not to judge a book by its cover but sadly that is sometimes hard to do. I hate books that have dated or cheesy covers. After that I could not agree more with snowrivver's post about books these days that have a synopsis on the back that tells you absolutely nothing about the book and is just a bunch of cryptic sentences that you won't figure out the meaning to until you have read the book. If an author wants me to buy and read their book I think it common courtesy to at least tell me what exactly I am buying. Leads me to believe that when authors/publishers do this that they are not confident that the material will grab people's interest.
dixiewitch1989
Favorite Author: too many
Favorite Book: prefers fantasy
Currently Reading: tedd dekkers the lost books series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dixiewitch1989.html

Post by dixiewitch1989 »

I avoid reading books that are huge hits with teens or has been turned into a tv series such as the twilight series or the throne games. Might be great books but I get sick of hearing about them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”