Can reading be rude?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Can reading be rude?

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree that reading can be rude around other people, but it is just as rude as people on their phone constantly.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mrsdeg1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdeg1983.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mrsdeg1983 »

As long as its not at a meal or you had company come over. Other then that no.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Reading is very interesting business it makes anyone more thoughtful,how can it be rude but as its crystal clear that we all are societal animals so we have to think about others feelings and opinions.So its nice for us to fix our study time because rest of the world plays great role to make anyone happy .we can't stay healthy without paying the proper attention towards the societal relation.So its totally depends on reader intelligence on some occasions he may make reading rude by neglecting his responsibilities towards society.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It could be seen as rude by many people. But readers have to read.Can't control it sometimes. I can't
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The only time I believe it to be rude is if someone was talking to you first and you just pull out a book and start reading while they are talking. That is when you are being rude. If you were reading first and they starting talking to you, then they are the ones who are being rude.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

It's only rude if the others around you are all interacting with each other and you're ignoring them. A lot of times, people around me will talk, but no one actually wants to include me in their conversation so I read. I think in a scenario like that it's okay to read. If you have company over or are expected to socialize for any reason, then it can be rude. For the most part, I think you'll know when you should or shouldn't read in front of company.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I personally do believe that it is sometimes rude to read. Sometimes when I am with my friends I will be reading on my phone and I will be so into the story that I don't even listen to what they are saying. I also do this to several other people and I do think it is quite rude.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Yes, it is extremely rude to read when you're in the company of others especially friends, family, or colleagues even in social gatherings like parties. Even in a situation where you are already reading before being approached try and put down the book no matter how captivating it is, it will make the person appear foolish if you just ignore them and continue with your reading.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes, it can. Being with other, then you start reading is just some how, more like busying oneself with phone when you should be interacting with your company
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I think it is rude at parties or social gatherings. however, if everyone else is on their cell phone by all means break out your book. But more than likely you will be the one they call rude.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Yes it can be rude I agree. Also you can be more nice about it though.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Yes it can. Even if it's a stranger who is sitting next to you and is trying to start a conversation, I usually close the book and try to socialize. If it's your family trying to engage with you, even though you'd really prefer quiet time with you pages, I try to stop and consciously try to pay attention to them.
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kristinajoy07 »

It’s rude in the same area that being on your phone while with friends or your significant other is trying to connect. You would t pick up the phone while someone is talking and in the same way I wouldn’t up and pick up reading in the same situation. If y’all are just hanging out and relaxing it’s not rude but in conversations or first meetings? Absolutely is.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

If you're in a close social setting I would say yes. For everyday errands and situations such as waiting rooms I would say no. Most people are tech obsessed and have their heads buried in phones anyway.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I see people commenting about kids and reading at the table, etc. That's tricky because I'd want to encourage reading while at the same time I get that you want your kids to interact with you as well. When I was young and a new book arrived, I would walk while reading it (this, I still do haha), read it throughout dinner, etc. My parents left me alone about it if it was something really special (like a new Harry Potter book I'd been awaiting all year). Otherwise, I had to put it down. I think this is a good way to approach it, allowing exceptions for particularly special occasions/books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”