Have you ever felt that you should diligently finish reading a book even if it was uninteresting?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Have you ever felt that you should diligently finish reading a book even if it was uninteresting?

Post by Chiagbanwe »

I used to drop books that the first few pages don't hook me in. However, recently I've begun to wonder if that was a sign of laziness.
And, I've discovered that if i persevere and dig deep into the pages of that seemingly boring book, I usually find something that actually catches my interest.
Shanice_xoxo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shanice_xoxo »

:) Yes I have. But I quickly dismiss the idea that it's a sign of laziness: the ocean of books is too vast to waste time forcing yourself to read an uninteresting book.
zephyrr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyrr.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by zephyrr »

During my high school year, I was recommended a book the title I have forgotten. it was given to me by an A student. His reason-He thought the book was too complicated. He assumed I was good at decoding complications given that HE THOUGHT I was really good at philosophical talks and such which wasn't true in my opinion. To prove him right, I tried reading this book but I wasn't just feeling it, it was like reading some advanced medical school. It was just so much-in such a small book with a cartoonish cover. I returned it and gave him a contrived summary.
Later, I felt bad for lying to him and demanded to read the book again. I understood the summary then proceeded to read the book again. Out of nowhere, I decided the book was just wasn't for me at that time. I returned it.
In response to your question, YES. I believe there is a lot to learn in a book. Even if the book lacks a good storyline or is unnecessarily complicated, I could study the authors use of words, descriptions, his composition in general and learn how to fix my mistakes. All in all, its about exploring uncharted territories for me :D
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Shanice_xoxo wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 17:26 :) Yes I have. But I quickly dismiss the idea that it's a sign of laziness: the ocean of books is too vast to waste time forcing yourself to read an uninteresting book.
This is so me I don't force myself.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I don't like to leave books unfinished, so I will always try to finish reading them even if don't necessarily like them. However, there has been a couple of books that I have not been able to finish because of how boring they were.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

Never in my entire life have I put down a book without having finished it. No matter how boring or uninteresting it is I always force myself to finish it, mainly because I'd feel bad if I didn't and that it was a waste of money.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I think dropping books is fine. If you don't see value in a book, stop reading it. You'll just be wasting your time. But if you think the book is worth reading for you, continue reading.

Our life is bound by time. Our time is the most valuable thing we have so we better not waste it. It's not about the money, it's often about our time.
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

I have stopped reading books that didn't keep me interested, but I always feel bad. Sometimes I have picked a book back up a few years later and found that it keeps me reading on the second attempt. Maybe it is the circumstances of my life that have changed.
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

When normally reading a book, I will push myself to finish, regardless of my interest in the plot. Often, the beginning of a book or a series starts at a slow pace, fleshing out world-building details or a backstory that prefaces the main story. There have been numerous instances where I ended up enjoying a book later into reading after wading through the parts that didn't interest me.
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chiagbanwe »

venxsfi wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 14:01 When normally reading a book, I will push myself to finish, regardless of my interest in the plot. Often, the beginning of a book or a series starts at a slow pace, fleshing out world-building details or a backstory that prefaces the main story. There have been numerous instances where I ended up enjoying a book later into reading after wading through the parts that didn't interest me.
Yes! I often have that kind of experience too. The book just starts making sense in the middle of reading it.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

I DNF books at around the 25% mark if they're not grabbing my interest. I usually do this a handful of times every year. There's so many that I want to read and I have a pretty low tolerance for books that aren't clicking with me. I read over 100 books a year, so DNF'ing 4 or 5 isn't going to bother me too much :)
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It depends on the plot. Sometimes there are few books that are do irritating I would just stop reading them and never try to read again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”