What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: What one thing disrupting your reading annoys you the most?

Post by Jlprince26 »

My husband.. unfortunately, he is extremely needy and when he is home, if I don't give him my full blown attention, he whines and complains and then I hear the ever so lovely... "well if I was that phone, you'd give me attention." (I read most of my books on my kindle app on my phone.) Very aggravating!!! I just want to sit down and read without be nagged.

Tigania wrote:
Oh, and my cat deciding she wants to be a bookmark is VERY distracting!

My 2 year old daughter will lay on my arms and cover my phone/book when she wants something... that doesn't annoy me, I find it absolutely adorable and I have to love on her!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

My children talking to me when I'm reading! I have a one-tract mind and multitasking when I'm focused on a book just doesn't happen for me.

I'm a mom with five young kids in the house (ages 6 to 15 years old), so interruptions are a part of every day life. I find that I enjoy reading more when I get up early to focus on my books, or join my kids' for their "reading time" in the afternoon.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

The thing that annoys me most and disrupts my reading is sleep. I sometimes wish that there was only daylight and not night but hey! It's healthy to have some time to sleep. I wish I had something to curb it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sadya »

Time. With less time to read, now that I work full time again, I miss reading. I miss spending hours with a book, finishing a book in one or two sittings. Time goes by too fast and I wish I had more time to read.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Having to go to work. I'd love to stay at home and read all day. Or at least when my kids would allow me too.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

I used to read in class a lot during my school years. I powered through class- and homework really quickly and so needed something to do to keep me occupied. So many people would interrupt my reading to ask me, "What are you reading?". To this day, someone deliberately interrupting my reading to ask me what I'm reading is one of my biggest peeves ever.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Car noise. I often read outside of our condo and there is a young kid in the back with a very loud car that he drives in and out constantly. I look up every singe time.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I hate when people try and talk to me while I'm reading! I wish people would respect a book the same way they respect earphones/headphones in someone's ears.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I agree it's got to be people talking to me. If I am actively nose deep in a book, I do not want to have a conversation right now. Sometimes I will put my headphones in with no music on just to deter people from talking to me when I'm reading. It confuses me that people just don't care if your reading They don't interrupt if your doing other things, like cleaning, watching a show, or writing. So why when reading am I suddenly okay to bother?
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I hate when I'm reading and someone keeps talking to me about the book I'm reading. I can't focus on the book with the talking, but I feel bad not engaging in the conversation.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

When my toddler screams for literally no reason at all. I didn't mind when she was a baby because babies only really cry when they need something, but toddlers are NOT like that AT ALL.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Battery of my Kindle running low 😁
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Post by Kawther22 »

When I'm in the library, people who keep talking annoy me the most especially when they are aloud in a quiet zone. This makes me distracted and disrupts the connection I am making with the book.
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx :D :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

When I'm trying to read but my neighbor won't shut up about the last movie she watched. Even with earbuds, I can still hear her speaking. Oh God, I just wanted to read on a peaceful sunday afternoon!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

When people come into the room and do some ridiculously loud task like hammering, messing with power tools, etc. And it's crazy because once that starts, you can't get away from it while inside the house.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”