Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Nym182 »

I for sure don't... I don't really like letting anyone borrow my things cause most of time i never get them back. it gives me really bad anxiety about it though... not necessarily about losing the item itself, but confrontation it can cause...

Last time I let anyone borrow a book, they gave it back to me with half the cover missing due to their dog chewing on it. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, i mean i love dogs and I know how easily something can get eaten by it but when i showed any kinda feelings indicating I was upset, the chick I let borrow made a big deal about how it shouldn't be a big deal and got indignant that I even deign to mention it. (it didn't help that I knew if it the situation was reverse she would have thrown a sh*t fit)

Now I only let my mom borrow books because I know she will replace them/show legit remorse if they get ruined. I have since expanded my "library congregation" to my good friend at work, mainly based on the fact that she actually returned money she borrowed from me (that's right I am more willing to let someone borrow money hahaha) and I had a several copies of it ha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

It's been two years and my Night Vale book still hasn't been returned -_- I don't mind lending, usually, but in this instance I'm tempted to charge a late fee!
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

As long as it isn't a childhood book with a lot of sentimental value, I love to lend books. Sharing books I've read and enjoyed makes reading 10x more fun for me. I love to discuss good plots and characters. Recently I've been sharing the ACOTAR series with people and it's a lot of fun.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I hate lending out books. I have had too many experiences where I let a friend borrow a book and then I never get it back, or when I do get it back, it is pretty seriously damaged.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I do lend out my books all the time but i give warnings to not to fold pages or make them dirty and return to me as soon as possible :lol2: . I am just obsessed with my books.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

That's the exact reason why I don't lend books. I have only lent one book and it took my friend a long time to return it. When he did, the book jacket was messed up. Books are so precious to me and I don't want to risk the rest of them getting messed up. Therefore, I will just tell someone to borrow them from a library.
alkaMish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alkamish.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by alkaMish »

I don't particularly like it. But I can still lend books to people who I know care about books and who would not harm my books in any case. There are only certain people who I have the courage to lend my books to. Since I also borrow books from people a lot of times, not lending to others would be like being hypocrite. I expect the person taking my book to take care of it like it is something very precious.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

Not really to be completely honest! I'm quite proud of my book collection, and I really hesitate to lend out books. That does not, however, mean that I will never lend one out. Usually I am okay with lending out a book to a person that I truly trust and will understand how much the upkeeping of that book means to me. I also lend out books when I know the person will actually enjoy them and finish them in a timely manner.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I don't like it. But after issuing the terms and conditions, I let them borrow it.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I do not. However, if I do it's usually to a friend who also likes books, so they know to keep it in good condition.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I don't like lending out my books. I have had bad experiences in the past that I no longer trust anyone with my precious books.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

I do, but only if I know they're also big readers and won't destroy my books.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

For the most part, no, I do not mind. I generally assume I will not get the book back if I lend it out. But, I probably wouldn't risk "giving" someone a book unless it was replaceable. If I have made notes in it, then I probably wouldn't lend it out. I have lent books to people, or exchanged temporarily, and I have gotten them back. I just don't count on getting them back.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
tanishkachitnis22
Currently Reading: 5am club
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by tanishkachitnis22 »

I like lending books to other only if they return the book on time and without any damage to the book.
sraby1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sraby1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by sraby1 »

I will lend my books to other people only if I know them well enough that I am confident that they will treat my book properly and even then I am paranoid about them messing it up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”