Importance of book cover

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: Importance of book cover

Post by Redlegs »

I completely understand the importance of a book cover design as a marketing device. However, for me personally, it is totally irrelevant. When I go shopping for a book, I go with a list of titles (either a written list or one in my head). I don't give a rats what the cover looks like.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

For me myself it doesn't make a lot of difference. The story is the most important thing. Although a lot of people I know says it does make a difference.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

The cover of the book gives the first impression so it is obviously important. But I always try to ignore cover, because usualy it does not match the book or my personal impression about it. And very often it happens that a book with terrible cover is great and the way round.
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Very important. I most often than not decide if I'm going to buy a book based firstly off the Cover.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

It's pretty important if it's a book (or author) that I don't know. A badly designed or cheap looking cover will often turn me away.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

Book covers are absolute essentials. It's, after all, the first thing we see. I mean, even with the title and the blurb, I look at the book cover to gauge whether the book has the "mood" that I want. So, it's really important for a book cover to reflect the tone or mood of the book.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Like everybody has said, covers are super important. If the cover doesn't draw me in, then it won't be my first choice. I do check the blurbs on the back to make sure that it's something that I'm interested in regardless. If neither are that enticing, then I might pass up a good book.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Starmy wrote:
aparajita ghosh wrote:I have missed many a good book because I didn't like the cover.
I am much the same! Now the cover doesn't matter to me. If it gets a good rep or its about a topic I enjoy I'll give it a go no matter how unappealing it may look initially.
I agree as well! The cover is what draws me in. The only way around that is a recommendation or really good reviews.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.
-Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

A well-designed cover definitely catches my eye - sometimes I can gauge the maturity of the writing, genre and overall quality from it. That being said, some of my favourite books have either worn old covers or very basic designs on them. Looking at the blurbs and reading a few sentences definitely help seal the deal.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

The cover is definitely important to me. It makes the difference between whether or not, I will give the book a second look or not. I also depend on the book jacket and description to help me decide.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I think a book cover is very important. An interesting cover is what usually draws me to the book, unless the book is a recommendation by someone. Of course I am not saying that the cover has to be good for the book to be good, but a good cover can make us pick up the book and check out the description.
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I know the old adage of not judging a book by its cover, but nowadays, with self-publishing, there is just so much available out there to read. I definitely judge a book by its cover because of that. It's impossible to read everything anymore.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

If I see the book cover, I will judge the book, and I have recently been selecting my books based on the cover. But when I had my old kindle, I wasn't able to see the book covers, so I had to select my books based only by the name. I think I actually prefer that method. It's like the "Russian Roulette" of book selections :p I definitely read some books that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and some of them were FANTASTIC!
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html

Post by Ama Idim »

A book cover is very important. I've read some books because of how attractive their book covers are and I've neglected some because the book covers were not so cool
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

A book cover is important because it is among the first things that attracts the potential reader.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”