Worst book you ever read and why

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mimilyell09
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimilyell09.html

Re: Worst book you ever read and why

Post by mimilyell09 »

The worst series i have is the Rockstar seduction series by olivia thorne. I loved it at first but then the chick chose both of the guys and it just made me so mad! She should have just chose one!
Amorlina
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amorlina.html

Post by Amorlina »

The worst book that I have read is the Twilight series as well the love story is really very long that it seems to me that there is no ending on it.
adalvarez0812
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adalvarez0812.html

Post by adalvarez0812 »

There are very few books and authors that I have a hard time reading, but in 7th grade I realized it was possible. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway was completely hard to follow and honestly for lack of a better word boring. It was a terrible read and to this day makes absolutely no sense to me. The ability to pick up any more of his books and make it past the first chapter eludes me with every try. His writing style holds little interest for me and compels my eyelids to close with each page I try to sputter through. He is probably the only author I am unable to read and find any enjoyment in.
Daphni
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=15864">A Game of Thrones</a>
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphni.html

Post by Daphni »

The worst book I ever was Matched by Allie Cody, I could not take the repetition of the days at one point it felt as if she was just copy pasting the chapters and tweaking them a bit, I stop reading halfway through it might get better but I don't care to find out.

I also didn't not enjoy The Lord of the flies, it was a major disappointment for me I wanted more death, and it to be more gruesome. The description I got from others made it seem like it was going to be some kind of massacre. I also didn't understand what happened to the plane, I understood it crashed but where did it go? A simple explanation would have sufficed for example a god, an angel a faerie or whoever saw the plane crash had only enough to rescue the boys before the plane went into the sea with all the other passengers. This would have been an explanation I would have accepted that also allowed me to not be frustrated every time I think about this book.
The hardest question to answer is not what came first the chicken or the egg but what happened to the plane in The Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
jstriker
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstriker.html
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

Post by jstriker »

Oh, man. There are some real stinkers mentioned here -- have to agree wholeheartedly that Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were rotten eggs, for sure. But alas, I cannot say that either of them are the worst book I have ever read. That dubious honor goes to "The Hope We Seek" by Rich Shapero.
I don't know if any of you have come across any of his books before, but they're given out free of charge at the local university in my town. And boy, oh boy, it's pretty clear why they're free. My friend picked up a copy out of curiosity, and we each tried to read it, but it's so awful. The dialog is inscrutable. It often seems like characters are having different conversations, and not really talking to each other about the same things. You can't really tell where the setting is, or even what time period, though it appears to take place during the mid 1800s.
The book came with a CD, but I have yet to crack it open and actually listen to it. I haven't the nerve, yet.
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher
Ahaneith
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahaneith.html
Latest Review: "Sunsets of Tulum" by Raymond Avery Bartlett

Post by Ahaneith »

The Lady of the Glen by Jennifer Roberson --- worst / most tedious book ever.. Granted I read it on a dare basicly.. curse my big mouth saying I'd read anything... I did read it but it was painful.
Latest Review: "Sunsets of Tulum" by Raymond Avery Bartlett
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. It's a fan-fiction and I'm not a fan of fan-fiction that I realized while reading this book. I read half book in 2017 and completed the other half in 2019.
Amna Khalid
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

Thankfully, I can't remember the name of the book, by but it was awful.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

The worst book I've ever read is “The Fox". This discouraged me from reading historical fiction books as I'm afraid I would hate the next.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

I have mentioned, I think? , that I detest "Memoirs of a Geisha" oh so very much. What could have been a lovely story turned preposterous and ridiculous.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”