Favorite Genre of Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tricoteuse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Favorite Genre of Books?

Post by tricoteuse »

For me, it's historical fiction. It works like a magnifying glass for me, if it's good the setting makes it great. If it's bad, it's unbearable. :lol:
Milly Ross

Post by Milly Ross »

Kurt Vonnegut. I know he is a person and not a genre, but I would argue he is a genre of his own (I feel the same way about Johnny Cash’s music). Vonnegut is regarded as a science fiction writer, but that is certainly not the truth. It is social commentary and satire in the guise of sci-fi.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

My favorite genre of books is definitely mystery. I love reading a book that keeps me at the edge of my seat and that keeps me guessing. I really enjoy detective stories like Sherlock Holmes or the C. Auguste Dupin stories by Edgar Allan Poe. I feel they are a very interactive kind of story for the simple fact that I am always working the mystery in my head and trying to solve it myself. They never seem like the types of books that just flow in a straight path. On the contrary, they have many twists and turns that make for a very exciting ride.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

My favourite genre is fantasy, hands down. I just love exploring new worlds and going on adventures with the main characters. And I always loved magic, no matter what form it took.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
shameca120

Post by shameca120 »

I will read any kind of romance book.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I read and love all genres, but one that I really like and is often overlooked is young adult. Books like the Hunger Game trilogy, 13 Reasons Why, the Wrinkle in Time set, The Giver, and Judy Bloom books provide value in their own right and shouldn't be dismissed because they were written for a younger audience.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
MrsBak0n
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbak0n.html

Post by MrsBak0n »

I'm one of those weird readers who hops genres. I really like YA books, Dystopian, action, Zombie books, a bit of Vampires. I love funny books! I have the hardest time finding humorous stories! I even like every-day-life type. I read a lot of different stuff!
Atem

Post by Atem »

Hmm. I'm leaning towards Science Fiction. Ursula K. Leguin, Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, Frederick Pohl, etcetera.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Fantasy. It usually has more interesting plots and characters. There are a lot more adventures to be experienced. However, I enjoy a lot of genres. I especially adore Historical Fiction. I love history.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Hmm. Sign me up for just about anything, but if I had to narrow it down, it would be Mystery, Science Fiction, and probably Fantasy or Thriller. But all of this could change tomorrow. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

My favorite genre is Science Fiction, because it incorporates all the other genres, e.g., Mystery, Thriller, Detective, Historical, Occult, Horror, Philosophy, ...
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

In general, I'd have to say science fiction and fantasy, but lately I've discovered an experimental genre that I think is best called historical science fantasy, and it's absolutely wonderful. It combines history, science, and speculative fiction into something thought-provoking and beautiful.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
LatizaQ
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by LatizaQ »

I read any books. No matter what it is as long as it's interesting. But okay, I'll go with fiction and anything related to conspiracies.
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

My favourite has to be Supernatural Romance. Like it has to have some sort of sub plot around the romance. Any book with action and romance in it is always good. Though I can really read anything as long as it has a good storyline to it.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"
Magnagaurd44

Post by Magnagaurd44 »

sci-fi and fantasy

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”