How does everyone feel about Fan Fiction?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Re: How does everyone feel about Fan Fiction?

Post by KateNox »

This is very interesting question. As a writer, I don't like it so much since you are already using someone's characters, well made before, rounded and the space setting already created. But, then again, as a reader, sometimes I do get attached to the particular books and, when I read them, I simply don't wish for that literally world to end. Then I quite enjoy fan fiction, but only when it's done right. I have stumbled across some brilliant writers who wrote fan fiction and that was a pleasure to read.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think I've only read bad fan-fiction, so I don't really like it.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MgNell
Currently Reading: The Blackthorn Key
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgnell.html
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl

Post by MgNell »

I love Fan Fiction! After every book or film i like, I go search for fan fiction. Of course i respect the author of original story, but there is nothing wrong for leting your imagination go wild. It`s only show how popular the characters is. :P :wink:
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I think it's a way of showing love for the characters and the world. (Or in some cases, showing how you could have done it better than the author.) Either way, when someone writes fanfic about your work, it shows that they were interested enough in it to respond, and that could even open up a sort of dialogue about themes involved in the work.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Purple Empress
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Purple Empress »

Hi everyone!
To me it depends on how well it is written.
Fan Fiction really is a great way to keep a story going and I would be really flattered if someone liked my story enough to put their own spin on it. I'd say it's like someone covering an artist's song...
But a bad cover really doesn't do the original much justice, same with Fan Fiction.
If it's not well-written, I can't read it.
madelinexf
Currently Reading: Sweet Possession
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by madelinexf »

It gives readers to continue on their fantasies even if it goes overboard.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I do like fanfiction because it's so interesting to see how other people portray favourite characters. It can be tedious trying to find a well written one though.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I am actually not a fan of fan fiction. I feel the authors set the course for their characters for a reason and often fan fiction takes a complete different direction for characters. I have a ton of friends who completely disagree with me, but I just cannot get into it.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
snowflake7411
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake7411.html

Post by snowflake7411 »

I personally love Fan Fiction. Well, as long as it is decently written. I like it since it allows you to find and short read or a topic that you can't seem to find in a book. Plus there is so many to read that it never seems like you are running out. Though, I will say that sometimes it does get a bit boring reading from the Fan Fiction section all the time.
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

I love fan fiction. Like many people, I read fanfiction when the story I love had already ended (and I still don't want to let go of that amazing universe), when I couldn't accept the way the story went (and I'm just looking for people who feel the same way), or when the original story didn't fully explore some characters or subplots.
HaleM13
Currently Reading: The Thousand Names
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halem13.html

Post by HaleM13 »

I enjoy fan fiction. When I was in middle school, I joined a Harry Potter Fan Fiction site. This site had a writer's forum as well. It was a fantastic way to improve my skills. Not only that, but I like the outlet that fan fiction is for fans. Fan fiction is a way to explore the what ifs of the book it's based on. Since I'm on the subject, I will use Harry Potter as the example; what if Harry had fallen for Hermione? That is what the writers of the shipping explore. Personally, from a writer's stand point, if you have inspired fan fiction and the exploration of what ifs, then you have done your job as an author correctly. Don't give them the entire picture; half the fun of the books is filling in the blanks with your interpretations and theories.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Fan Fiction is interesting in some ways. I do believe that it violates the original authors rights though since intellectual property should no be infringed upon. I am guilty of reading fan fiction from time to time because the characters that we want to be together but are not in the original story can be intriguing. I also love to look at fan based art from not only books but television series or movies. For example, Supernatural, the Arrow, etc. have some cool fan based art.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:Fan Fiction is interesting in some ways. I do believe that it violates the original authors rights though since intellectual property should no be infringed upon. I am guilty of reading fan fiction from time to time because the characters that we want to be together but are not in the original story can be intriguing. I also love to look at fan based art from not only books but television series or movies. For example, Supernatural, the Arrow, etc. have some cool fan based art.
I do see where you're coming from. But I think that as long as the fanfiction author is not making money off the intellectual property of another, nor do they have any intention to do so, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure most authors would see it as a compliment that people love their work so much that they want to create their own stories using the characters and locations. I'm not an author though so I might be completely off on that one!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I personally don't care for it but one of my kids loves it. He says he enjoys seeing how others interpret characters and seeing characters evolve beyond the original author's imagination.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I actually do like fan fiction when I'm reading books about certain characters and I still want to read more about them. There are some books and series that end and the author doesn't plan on writing anymore books and when that happens, I usually search fan fiction online about my favorite characters. But I am sort of picky when it comes to fan fiction too because I like reading it when the characters or storyline are true to the original or very like the original. I think fan fiction is well done when it seems like the characters or story are something the author themselves would write.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”