Books with illustrations or without?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books with illustrations or without?

Post by rachel5 »

When you choose a book, do you prefer the ones with illustrations or those without? I personally prefer books with illustrations because I can get a better visual in my mind of the characters and events. I don't think pictures should be on every single page of a book though since I like to picture some events on my own.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I love books with illustrations, especially large colour plates. You don't find many books with illustrations these days, unless you are buying a folio edition, they nearly always have them. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I like history or non-fiction books with illustrations and fiction books with a few illustrations, but not a book full of them.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Doesn't it depend on what type of books? Fiction, non-fiction, junior, coffee table, self-help?

When I was young, most of the books I read had illustrations. I still have hardcover books I inherited with black and white sketches/drawings in them, usually at the beginning of each chapter. They enhanced my imagination but I remember one disappointing illustration in "The Hobbit". My mind's eye had painted a much stranger-looking hobbit.

On the whole, Jasper Fforde and his Thursday Next series are the only books I read now which feature specially commissioned illustrations of BookWorld characters.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Thats true. Self-help books are better with illustrations and junior books but full length novels dont need so many. Neil Gaimans Graveyard Book is an example. Great book, but it had too many illustrations I think.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I could go with or without for most books. I have a crazy imagination but I can adjust it to match the illustrations if I want to. Of course I have the choice of ignoring the illustrations while I a reading and view them as something seperate from the book. Someone else's interpratation. I have to admit that things like science books, health books, an instruction books are better with illustrations because sometimes my brain cannot keep up with all of the technical info.
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

Illustrations can be very helpful. If I am not familiar with a geographical location, map data heightens interest. Or, if an author is trying to outline a battle strategy in an action book it helps. Recently I read The Hound of the Baskervilles online. To get an image of the hound I had to close the page and look elsewhere.
Token conservative
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I like books with illustration because it helps me visualize certain parts of the story but actually I don't that many books with illustrations on them.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Sometimes... an illustration really makes you clearly understand and feeds more than you imagine when you are readin the story...so I'd prefer picture illustrations...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

For fiction I dont really care if it has illustrations or not, But for non-fiction or history I think pictures give one a better idea of what the book is about.
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I love the photos' in biographies, it is great to look at the character that you are reading about, especially the ones that go back a long way.
kasmanandapalace

Post by kasmanandapalace »

i love the books with illustrations....
LadyDeveaux
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladydeveaux.html

Post by LadyDeveaux »

Without. Let your imagination paint the picture.
poornimakrishnan

Post by poornimakrishnan »

Without!
Your mind makes the best illustrations.
JaylinMills

Post by JaylinMills »

Books with illustrations is best

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”