Can a health and fitness book help you lose weight?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Can a health and fitness book help you lose weight?

Post by asmaahsan »

I have always had a weight problem. I eat too much. I read so many health and fitness books but they tell me to eat stuff I don't really like so I never get around to it.

Finally I found one book that basically told me to eat only when the hunger pangs hit me, eat as much as I like and whatever I fancy, but once full, to do other stuff, stop obsessing about my next meal, and just wait for the hunger pangs to recur.

I noticed that with the different foods that I ate, the hunger pangs varied in their timings. It was hard for a few days but then my system got uses to it. In a couple of weeks I started feeling lighter and more energetic. I was eating everything, but eventually, because I was listening to my stomach for a change, it started giving me meal options. My sugar cravings changed to craving for fresh fruits and other healthy stuff. Then one day, my sugar craving changed to a preference for salty things and that is when I felt like running around.

Am I diabetic, I wondered. Had my blood sugar checked, and nothing happened. I am not diabetic, just an obsessive sugar junkie.

Basically, I ate so much sugar that my body was struggling to deal with it. Sugar induced cravings earlier than protein does, so I was eating more than my body required, following a traditional timetable.

The book explained it all to me in such easy words that even a foodie like me was convinced by the author's logic, seriously enough to actually make a move and lose some pounds, which at that time, in my sensible days, were fifteen, in three to five months, without any real excercise, just a regular everyday routine.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Barbara Brown
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-brown.html

Post by Barbara Brown »

I would have to say yes it can, just like anything else can. I believe as long as u have the motivation and support that anything is possible, whether it be from a book, video, home eqipment, etc...its all about willpower.

hugs :)
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

Hugs are motivational anytime. :)

I need the will power to stop eating.
Barbara Brown

Post by Barbara Brown »

Well i'm with u on that one too, i more or less need the will power to stick to an exercise program when i start one...i do for maybe a couple weeks and then i start to slack and then i give up... so i hear ya :(
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

a good tip for you:

Start a program you can mantain. for example, if you walk for ten minutes daily, do it for ten minutes daily. Make it a life long habbit. It will increase your metabolism rate and you will lose calories faster. The the day you don't walk, you will feel sluggish.

I don't do much excercise but I work around my home daily just to keep my muscles going. It exhausts me as much as a regular excercise program would. If I watch my excess calorie intake, I lose weight like anything just doing my chores.

Any form of excercise is good. We sit around too much so the metabolism slows down. That means yo don't burn fat as fast as you do if you have a more active lifestyle.
Barbara Brown

Post by Barbara Brown »

Thanks so much for the tip and yes i agree that we do sit around too much, IE..(computer) lol
I use to be skinny all my life, always had trouble putting on weight was my problem, and now about 3 yrs. ago my lifestyle has slowed down and now i have put on 30 lbs. extra in the three yrs....i don't eat any dif. "but" i do sit on computer all day and no exercise much like i use to..i just have to motivate myself which is kinda hard but i know i can...again thanks for the tip. :)
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

You were skinny, so that means you were very energetic and active. I hope you get back in the old routine. I think you can be as skinny as you were before. Just focus on getting gorgeously skinny, not anorexic one. i always say be gorgeous for you, so you feel good about you when you see yourself in the mirror, not for any man or to prove a point.

I had a baby a year ago. Lost ten kg To prepare for her, then put on fourteen until I had her. Now struggling to lose it but I am so exhausted all the time I don't have the energy to excercise.

Your problem is just sitting. Maybe you can go for a walk to stretch your legs and get in a good routine from there. Or go dancing. Best way to kill the kilos. :)

If you put on 30 lbs, it will take a bit of time to lose it. Target three to six months so it doesn't make you ill.

I hope you become skinny soon. You can do it. The women who were over fed as children and sat around become obese by default, not their own choice. It's hard for them to lose weight because their metabolism was slow from the beginning and they were trained to have fatty food. They need a professional dietician and personal trainer to retrain their system so they don't become sick on wrong diet plans. It's very dangerous to go crash dieting. Immunity gets low and you can get serious illnesses.

It's hard for obese people to lose weight, not skinny ones. you were skinny three years ago, So you can get skinny in no time. Wish you all the best. :)

Get skinny gorgeous and post your pic as profile to get wolf whistles from the boys. ;)
Barbara Brown

Post by Barbara Brown »

Awww thanks for the confidence, it makes me even more eager now...ur a sweetheart :)
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

Most welcome. Glad to motivate you.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

Hi,
Few years ago I suffered from obesity. I had to take a medicine and at night I found myself forced to eat to be able to sleep again. Exercices, diets... didn't work. I simply had to change the medicine.

If your not in the same case, then, fitness books or going to the gym would be good for you.
If you don't want to have health problems, don't weight too fast. Your back won't appreciate.
The diets are good but you have to eat pieces of everything (vegetables, meat, dairy products, cookies or cakes). The secret is not to stop greasy products but to eat less of them. Adding fibers in the "diet" is a solution and drink (not too much, think about your kidneys) or eat diuretic stuff to go to the bathroom. It really helps.
When you want to drink, prefer still water.
When you want to lose some weight don't do everything alone. Being helped by someone you like or love will help you mentally, will congratulate you or cheer you up when you're in need.

Remember: You've got your own reasons to do this. But after all your doing it for you (your health...) not because someone told you to do it.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
asmaahsan
Currently Reading:

Post by asmaahsan »

How did you lose the weight, are you still on a diet?
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I heard about an 16 hour diet today. You eat normal meals for 8 hours then eat nothing for 16 hours. They claim it takes 16 hours for your body to process the food, and if you eat something in that 16 hour period it throws your whole digestive system out of whack and you gain weight.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

asmaahsan wrote:How did you lose the weight, are you still on a diet?
Well in my case I put on weigt because of medicine, so my doc change it by a new one to lose the weight (but I lose more than I gain). Now I try my best to put on weight. I'm too skinny! The worst I have no problems with the food. :roll:
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Only if you walk/jog/exercise while holding it...and eat less.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I managed to lose early 3 stone when I was in college and I did this through a combination of healthy eating and taking more exercise, there really is no other way to do it. You can read as many of your fancy quick fix books or count the calories on one of your newspaper magazines but its as simple as eat less and move more, anything else is just an excuse or denial. Very very few people are obese through a medical condition (tablet side effects are different) and if you want to lose weight you can do it. Sadly many people are in deep deep denial about weight and will convince themselves that they are just big boned, fond of chocolate etc. It boils down to personal responsibility at the end of the day, but dont tell the billion dollar dieting industry that...
You only live once.....so live!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”