Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Book_Nerd5402
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Book_Nerd5402 »

I think I could because just because they don't enjoy it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy sharing with them your passion for this particular topic. I think that simply talking ( or obsessing) over a particular book would be fun for you and your significant other because you get your wonderful book and they get to see you at your all time best.
srensch1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srensch1.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by srensch1 »

My wife does not read, and there are times when that creates a little friction. She sees my reading time as wasted time or avoidance of her, which they are not. But this is a VERY minor aspect of our relationship and is no reason to avoid dating someone.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Of course I would, that's not a criteria for compatibility - at least for me. When I'm reading, they can be busy watching movies or on the internet. As long as we also have shared interests we can pursue together, like the outdoors or spending time with the kids, we're good!
kosgeyvini
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by kosgeyvini »

their is no problem love is beyond any boundary ,dating someone who doesn't love to read isn't a problem
Mhris3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhris3.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Mhris3 »

Hmm, that's tough to answer. I see reading as one of the most important trait anyone should have. It also depends in the type of reader he is though. If he is the sort that opens a book once a year then I might consider, but if he hasn't read any book in years, then that is a no no for me.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I could never see myself dating someone who never reads! Every time I finish a book, the first thing I want to do is to talk to someone about it. I expect that if I had a significant other, they would probably be the first person I'd go to. I love to rant about characters I like, characters I hate, themes, word choice, anything. a good book can make my nerd out for hours. I can't imagine having a significant other who lacks my passion for books!
Ph0enix

Post by Ph0enix »

I would never date someone who doesn't read at all because we wouldn't have anything to talk or argue about, and I need a good discussion once in a while.
Queer_Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Queer_Reader »

Probably not, I mean, who could I go to when I need to bawl my eyes out after reading an emotional book? :cry:
Also! Here is a thing that I found a while ago and I would like to share:

You should date a girl who reads.

Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes, who has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one loving looking over the shelves the shelves inthe bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she has found the book she wants. You see that weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand bookshop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow and worn.

She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the authors making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes her book.

Buy her another cup of coffee.

Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says that she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or would like to be Alice.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, christmas, and anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry and in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

She has to give it a shot somehow.

Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: Motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.

Fail her. Because a girl who reads always knows that failure leads up to the climax. Because a girl who reads understands that all things must come to an end, but that you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.

Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM with a book clutched to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in a book a real, because for a while, they always are.

You will propose in a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually the next time she’s sick.. Over Skype.

You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.

--Rosemarie Urquico

*This applies to guys as well*
teresao
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresao.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by teresao »

I don't think I'd mind as long as they were ok with listening me talk about what I've been reading. I do prefer being with other people that are avid readers, since I think that reading is the best way to keep your mind learning. I read a ton of books and literature, but my husband doesn't. However, he does read a ton of mechanical and technological articles in magazines or online, which I never read. So, while we sometimes share/discuss what we're reading, most of the time I'll talk to friends or siblings that have similar taste in books I'm reading.
Asor Georgina

Post by Asor Georgina »

Yes i think i could because i will let her know that i really love reading and will make her notice that before someone can be successful in life you have to at least be able to read and understand in terms of relationship or at work
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

chupke07 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 09:28 My husband doesn't read much, but he understand when I just want to sit and binge read. So it works. His vice is video games, he plays them the same way I read.
This is awesome. I think the end of the matter is whether both of you can understand each other because we will never be exactly the replica of the other person especially when it comes to interests.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

There are things that I will be on the lookout for more than the hobbies, especially reading. Therefore, I can happily date someone who does not read provided she will understand when I take my time to read.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
paumartinezsalvador

Post by paumartinezsalvador »

Dating someone who doesn't read can be also described as dating a streetwise person without school diploma. Every person can learn new things in every way they can. As a girl who loves getting to know different point of views. I dont think dating a person who doesn't read can be count as a problem in fact people got their own special ways of expressing knowledge. if a person doesn't read that doesn't make him or her any less of a person.
Mariah7francis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariah7francis.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mariah7francis »

Reading is like feeding your mind.
There's nothing so beautiful then thinking and growing mentally, I prefer to date a man that read,that's what I find attracts in a man. He just have to be intelligent period or I wouldn't take him seriously the six packs and all is nothing without the brain because all those will fade away.
Anniemay155

Post by Anniemay155 »

My husband isn't much of a reader and I love it. He plays video games and it gives the other the space for "me" time. When he does read, they are articles on sports which im not a fan of. I follow Christine Feehan as my favorite author and really enjoy the world's she has created.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”