Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Earljan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Earljan »

Well, for me i think I can, because I only read because it's a hobby for me. And there are a lot of things to consider and to talk about when dating.
Loopylou098

Post by Loopylou098 »

I’m currently in a relationship with someone who does long read. I personally love reading and while it can be annoying when I read a great book and want to share my thoughts about the book it’s only a small annoyance. I have friends and family who are readers so I talk to them about books instead. While reading is a big part of my life it’s not my whole life so I don’t expect my partner to read just because I do.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I enjoy reading, and my partner gets it. He is not into reading because he is in college and does a lot of it. I am in college too, but I like reading good books! College and recreation are two totally different things! I am not going to force him to like reading, but if he ever tells me what I can or cannot do, I am out. :tiphat:
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Yes because I know I would help them learn to read and show them the beauty of words telling a story
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ketbax »

My fiancé rarely reads true novels. He reads a lot of comic books, but I don't know if that counts. It is a bit difficult because I would love someone to share stories with, but I was able to join 2 book clubs to get that aspect of reading!
Emily_Savage
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer

Post by Emily_Savage »

A relationship is based on more than having common hobbies. In my mind, the phrase "I won't date someone who doesn't read" is fundamentally the same as other phrases such as "I can't like someone who doesn't like the same things as me" or "I can't like someone who isn't like me". This way of thinking is sad and dangerous because one of the main characteristics of humans is our diversity in both culture and personality. I believe there is balance and unity in the joinings of opposites. It makes us whole. There is no point in splintering off into unimportant sub groups based on flimsy and superficial characteristics. It encourages incorrect in-group perceptions like "were are more xxx than them". But even if these perceptions are objectively true, we also have weaknesses and even the non-readers have their own strengths. For example, (based on some comments I've read in other posts on this thread) readers are more intellectual, non readers are less intellectual. Even if this were objectively true, being "intellectual" may not always be a strength in every situation. Let's suppose that intellectuals are so characterised because they like or even need to gather lots of information and then spend some degree of time thinking it over carefully in order to use it effectively. Let's assume non readers are more flexible than this. What happens when a situation arises where there is no time to accommodate your intellectual process? Well, a less intellectual person may need to take action, won't they? This won't be a problem for them though because they are able to function with much less information. They do not need to think deeply because they can quickly grasp the most important aspects of a situation and act on it. I feel like in asking the question "would you date someone who doesn't read" the asker has (intentionally or not) demonstrated the fact that they fail to find sufficient value in these non readers. But there is so much value in their existence. Does it need to be stated? This question should be neither asked nor answered.
germanis
Currently Reading: the black prisim
Bookshelf Size: 1611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-germanis.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by germanis »

I think the short answer is no...... because I spend such a lot of time reading. But at a push I COULD date someone who didn't read as long as they leave me alone when I am reading!
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

I wouldn't mind, as long as the person had a curious mind in other ways. Reading isn't for everyone, but knowledge should be! My partner reads and we have given each other books for Christmas...I'm pushing for us to have our own little book club but no joy so far.
happygirl37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happygirl37.html
Latest Review: Experiencia de vida by Clara limonta

Post by happygirl37 »

Well... I would rather date someone who does read, but as long as I can have a deep and meaningful conversation with them, I think I could live without a booklover. However, I would be a shame to not have all the amazing conversations we could have about the books we love and the fictional characters we met along the way.
I'm certainly praying that the love of my life loves to read, but if they don't, I'll love them anyway (I guess).
BadooSpider
Currently Reading: We Need to Talk about Kevin
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badoospider.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Frank Strong, Attorney at Law by J.T. Hartman

Post by BadooSpider »

I am with someone who doesn't read! Well, he reads a little, but nowhere near as much as me. But we have a lot of other joint nerd interests and he doesn't mind me ranting about books (or explaining interesting books). I think those are the key things: we like enough other things and he can at least feign interest in books I like!
Goodhunkk

Post by Goodhunkk »

Well, I think reading books would one more common interest which is much needed in a relationship. But one can date a person who doesn't read as long as they have plenty of common interests and the one who doesn't read, doesn't have any problems with the one who reads.
daniellelawson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD

Post by daniellelawson »

I cannot date someone who does not read or does not enjoy to read. I visit a bookstore at least once a week and always have a book with me. I have dated two men and only one enjoyed reading, but was very picky about his tastes. Neither enjoyed sitting and simply embracing the moment with a good book. It was disappointing in a way. I can sit for hours with a good book or composing a new story. I need someone who I can discuss books with and who can motivate me to keep reading with I get in a slump.
Adebowale_Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebowale-gideon.html
Latest Review: All Good Things by Rosemary Reeve

Post by Adebowale_Gideon »

For me I don't think I can oo
Because in a relationship you have to have things in common, when one partner doesn't read and the other does it doesn't make sense.
For example if you are my kind of person who loves to read or whose hobby is to read then you can't discuss anything with your partner
And sometimes some words you know or get to know from reading would sound new to your partner
But in case my partner and I have something else in common then I would try to teach my partner to develop the habit of reading because I can't possible date someone that doesn't like to read except (which I know isn't possible) the person can't read.
Learn more and earn more :tiphat:
Avidreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Avidreader01 »

Of course, I could date someone who doesn't read. Reading is my hobby. It doesn't necessarily have to be his hobby as well.The fact that I love to read is my past-time. He also has his past time as well.
Erinstark
Currently Reading: women who think too much
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Erinstark »

I am currently in a five year relationship with a person who does not read for pleasure, but he is fully supportive of me spending hours with my nose in a book. He gives me my space to enjoy what I am reading and he does his hobbies while I am reading. We have very different interests in some ways but that allows us the opportunity to enjoy those interests while giving us something to talk about when we do spend time together.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”