Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kittykatsmeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Kittykatsmeow »

Depends. If they were a brain washed minion who believed everything they saw on tv/the internet, and couldn't think for themselves then no.
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

I could date one who doesn't travel an interest in reading and I have actually dating a few people. It didn't take away from the relationship but they understood that I'm an avid reader and need some space and time to dive into the world of books.
simicartan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by simicartan »

as long as that person doesnt do harm to other people. then why not?
Ichrak sd
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Ichrak sd »

i guess i could,reading for me is a hobby that i can never leave ,so he must understand that also i can't force him to read and surely he would have hobbies that i must understand them too , so i do not mind dating someone who doesn't read :D :D
sylviab98
Favorite Book: Storm and Silence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylviab98.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by sylviab98 »

That's a really interesting question ! I think it depends on the Mindset of the person. If he likes reading from time to time and doesn't mind my Obsession with Books then I would date him. But if he hates books and hates that I am spending most of my time reading, then I think it would be troublesome for us to find a connection ! Honestly I would be okay with him not enjoying books as much as I do, but hating Books would irritate me and thus making it harder for me to fall in Love with him !
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

Yes, because everyone has different taste. As long my partner doesnt mind me reading almost everyday
gattuso675

Post by gattuso675 »

This is really a very interesting question, upon reading through the posts, i have realize that most of you are saying it depends, yes at some point I side with you but at another point i do not. The reason why i do not some what side with you is that, you love the person and this character of him or her is part of the person which you cant do anything about it, so you just have to adapt to each others character and you are good to go and live happily ever after,
Chiboy88

Post by Chiboy88 »

I can't go in a relationship with a lady who can't read nothing off, cus it doesn't make any sense seeing to that, because reading sometimes get involved on some issues in relationships like having a quarrel between each other, having an article on settling it out can be of a good thought
Sm-12
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sm-12 »

I love this question in fact it's a very thought provoking question .Well honestly its superb when the person you are dating likes to read as much as you do but my life is rather ironical as the person I married does not like to read.
But the fact is he let's me read and enjoys gifting me books..
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Honestly, totally. As someone who's been into anime for a long time, I'm very, very used to not having matching interests with a potential partner or significant other. I find that there are certain aspects of media where we can come together as well as explore outside both of our comfort zones for each other. As long as we can both respect each other's interests while being open to new things, someone who doesn't like to read as much wouldn't bother me at all.
HarleenQuinzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleenquinzel.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HarleenQuinzel »

Absolutely I could! My boyfriend has probably never finished an entire book in his life. I read frequently and find that this works for us. When I read a book I am able to tell him about it because he doesn’t care about spoilers. It’s also a way for us to have quality time when I’m reading and he’s either playing video games or watching videos or something.
kmsloan65
Currently Reading: They All Fall Down
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by kmsloan65 »

That is the kind of partner every person needs.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Not only date him, but I married him. My husband is extremely dyslexic, although he does read magazines but rarely a book and never a book that I would read. We have very different tastes in literature.
khall1395
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by khall1395 »

Honestly, no, I don't think I could. I am getting my Master's degree in English Literature, an English tutor, an editor, and a freelance writer. Reading and writing is too much a part of my life to be with someone who doesn't share in it.

I do admit, I am young. My idea on dating could change in the future.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

My opinion a few weeks back was yes. Right now it's still yes. I would date someone who doesn't read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”