Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )
I doubt that I could date someone who doesn't read. I get emotionally attached to every single book, and every single character, that I read. Only avid readers understand this level of attachment, and I don't know that any other people can.
AzzyTheCreep
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AzzyTheCreep »

I don't know to be quite honest. Of course I enjoy reading and talking about books is absolutely amazing, but as long as they are using their head (even if it's not about reading), I think I would be okay with it? I think it mostly depends on the person though.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

No I wont
June0617
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by June0617 »

I guess I could. It'll surely be my mission to get him to read and stay reading. It will prove challenging if he is really not interested and haven't read a book before and sort of just dragging his feet one page to another but it's a start. I don't mean change him and his interests but just to see him hold a book will be fun for me. No pressure, though, cause we are dating not finishing a book report.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I have been an avid reader for years and I am married to a non-reader. Reading is a passionate hobby for me. I use books to escape and gain knowledge. However, my husband doesn't share my passion. He is very smart and cable but just doesn't enjoy reading. He does like to hear my opinions and thoughts concerning whatever book I am reading. He will listen intently as I ramble on about a book. He will ask questions and give input. Honestly him not reading doesn't bother me. We still have plenty to talk about and in common.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

yes, why not..as long as he/she is knowledgeable on other things
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

Of course I could and I do. Reading is great, it's a good hobby and it teaches you a lot. But it doesn't make anyone any better than others and it's not the only way to explore and learn about the world. There's a lot to learn from the people who are completely different from you and who maybe never got any education. I think I personally benefit much more from my fiancé who has a lot of experience in the real world whereas I myself have just spent my years at the university and in a few short-term jobs.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think I could, if they had some other passion they were pursuing intently.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I think the reasons people don't read vary widely, so it would depend on that. If the person didn't read because they've always been forced to read for school and never got into reading as a hobby, I could understand that. As long as they're willing to try my favorite books in the same way I'd be willing to try their hobbies, I think I could be open to it.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Well, I am married to someone who is not an avid reader. You find other ways to connect. But it would be nice to share a love of books!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Cool. What does he do then, if you don't mind? He must got something really good that caught your attention.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I probably would if the person has an awesome personality to make up for it.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

I must say I don't understand this thread at all. Sure it is nice to have some hobbies in common, but what does it really matter if someone doesn't read? If you can't date someone who doesn't read, would you maybe also reject someone who only reads contemporary fiction and likes Harry Potter? Or someone who likes romance? What if they don't like to discuss the books they read, or don't like the books you read?
thayrabijlstra
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by thayrabijlstra »

I could, in fact, my girlfriend doesn´t read books at all, I just tell her when I read a book that I like and what´s it about and she just listens to me talk about it hahaha, I mean, I get that it would be nice to date someone that does read and you could recommend them books, etc. But for that I have some of my friends, so no worries! :P
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

I absolutely could. I enjoy many other activities that we could, possibly, share.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”