Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by melissah30 »

Anniemay155 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 17:37 My husband isn't much of a reader and I love it. He plays video games and it gives the other the space for "me" time. When he does read, they are articles on sports which im not a fan of. I follow Christine Feehan as my favorite author and really enjoy the world's she has created.
My husband doesn't read either! It's definitely not an issue. Right now we're both sitting on the couch while he plays Assassin's Creed and I have headphones in switching between reading and browsing these forums. We spend a lot of time doing separate things together! We do have shared hobbies - reading just isn't one of them.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Riptide
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Riptide »

The only reason a non-reader would give me pause is because it would indicate they aren't interested in acquiring knowledge or stimulate their mind, but that wouldn't necessarily be true nowadays because they can learn through various sources online. I could deal with it but during arguments, I'd likely end up thinking, "I should have known better. He doesn't read."
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I'm 23 and I've never been on a date ever. But I think it'll be nice to date someone who reads so I know there's at least one thing we share 😊
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Mark Dice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyschafer.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00TREI0D4

Post by Mark Dice »

It is definitely important to date someone that you can have meanful discussions with. However, I'm sure that I could date someone and still have discussions about things other than books. To me, reading is a solitary activity anyways, so it might be better if I were able to bond with someone over newer types of media such as films and gaming
taurus3721

Post by taurus3721 »

Yes, I could date someone who doesn't read. In fact, I married a man who doesn't read, by choice. My husband is a wonderful, kind, compassionate man. He is great with his hands. He can put together and take apart just about anything. A skill that I most definitely lack. He loves to fish and is passionate about sports. What he doesn't like, however, is to read. That is ok with me because I do love to read. While he watches sports, I read. It works for us. I think that while characteristics you have in common with someone you are dating is great, it is equally interesting and fun to explore facets of another's personality that are completely different from you. It keeps life entertaining.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I have. My partner enjoys reading bit doesn't have the time. He's self-employed and would love to kick back with a book, but he really only does nothing when he's sitting down after dinner (often after 10pm) and just before bed.
It doesn't make a difference to me; he's smart, has a lot to say for himself and always listens with interest or discusses a book with me if I want to talk about one.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Yes I could. As long as she is smart.😅
LostInLiterature88

Post by LostInLiterature88 »

I have dated someone who had not yet realized just how magical it can be to become lost in a story. He would become irratated at me for my lack of attention when I were submerged in a book. I had to make myself clear that reading was not a suggestion in my life, but a must have, as it was a form of therapy to help me wine down and put away all the pressure placed on an individual in the real world. It was like stepping into a personal sanctuary of relaxation and emotions that gripped one as they continued page by page into a book...
His reading and comprehension abilities were not quite as strong as my own. Not saying he was not a very intelligent man. He had skills and could do things I could never imagine where to even start with doing! But literature was not one of his strong suites. But I am proud to say, I assisted him with discovering just how powerful literature can be to the human psyche and well being. Each night, when our work day was over, he lied on his side of the bed with intentions to listen, as I narrated the current novel aloud for the both of us. And the first novel, he found tears rolling down his cheeks when he got caught up in the characters emotions. It was an 'i told you so!' kinda of moment!
Gurshan

Post by Gurshan »

Now that’s a good question!! I am dating a person who did not like to read. But i changed him🙈 now he likes reading. Reading is the best therapy and one should promote others to read . It not only helps your brain go active but also freshen and make you imagine things others can not imagine.
Gurshan

Post by Gurshan »

Now that’s a good question!! I am dating a person who did not like to read. But i changed him🙈 now he likes reading. Reading is the best therapy and one should promote others to read . It not only helps your brain go active but also freshen and make you imagine things others can not imagine.
Mfcamacaro

Post by Mfcamacaro »

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

I personally loves man who are cults and that is one of the múltiples virtudes that read can give you. Right now in the world are tons of people who doesn’t read because they say it’s “better and faster” watch tv. Personally think that when you read your imagination fly, discover new places and get amazing facts that you won’t get from “watch a movie”
Shannon_Christine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Shannon_Christine »

I am married to a non reader. It saddens me that he does not enjoy reading and that I cannot interest him in getting immersed in a book. For someone like me, who has been reading daily as long as I can remember, and who would not be able to enjoy life without books, it is very difficult. I take comfort in the fact that at least one of my sons enjoys reading instead.
sncedarcreek1
Currently Reading:

Post by sncedarcreek1 »

I have dated some who didn't read and honestly, those were the ones I didn't date more than a few times.They never seemed to understand the importance of sitting down with a good book and entering another world. A reader reads everything: magazines, newspapers, books, signs, even labels on jars and cans if nothing else is available! We treasure the written word and fail to understand those who scorn it. So to answer the question, I would date someone who doesn't read but probably not for long.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

As long as the person I'm dating sees how beneficial reading is and how important it is to me, I would date them. It would be a lot of fun to read books at the same time as the person I'm dating so we could discuss them.
QueenBoadicea1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenboadicea1.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by QueenBoadicea1 »

Your question is "Could you date someone who doesn't read?" I tend to be specific about wording to avoid confusion. Dating to me implies meeting for dinner and entertainment of some sort. Dinner and a movie at the cinema, dinner and the opera at the opera house, dinner and viewing a parade, dinner and walks along the beach--you get the idea. After many incidents of such activities, you tend to forego such constant need and settle for nights in, meetings with your friends or dinner with the parents, etc. Then you are considered to be "seeing" the person or going steady.

As for dating someone who doesn't read--why, yes, I could date such a person. Once.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”