Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Bhaskins »

My husband isn't much of a reader, but he very much supports my reading habits. He got me kindle unlimited for Christmas! It is some times hard because I am almost always reading. He will read articles and share them. Also if there is a book about a person he likes he will read it. We also read a lot of things together to improve our marriage. Onto Nonviolent Communication next.
Angi1220
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angi1220 »

I thought I could, but no. I married a non reader, he really was a shallow dumb person.
To me you should always keep readibg, learning, using your mind ♡♡
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I have tried before and it didn't work simply because he couldn't understand my special relationship with books. I prefer someone who reads even if its not actively.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
csmith12329
Currently Reading: Company Man
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csmith12329.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by csmith12329 »

Yes, I could surely date someone who is not a reader. And, should he choose to mow the lawn, cook dinner or rub my feet while I'm indulging in my latest book... Brownie points!

My husband is an avid reader. So this is all hypothetical, of course. :D
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones
Giana08
Currently Reading: Pride & Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Giana08 »

I think even though they do not read I still could.they would just need to know that I enjoy to read and can not try to stop me from reading and give me space for when I am reading.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I could, but it wouldn't have the same depth that a relationship with a fellow reader would.
You can learn so much from reading and it can make you question so many things about yourself and the world. It is so thought-provoking. If someone doesn't read, the miss out on a lot of those amazing qualities that comes with being a reader.
Having said that, as long as they have a passion and are willing to understand my passion, I think that is the most important thing. Not everyone likes or engages with the same things.
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I think sometimes we tend to make decisions based on emotions. As hard as it may be, i think it would depend on the person overall and the type of person it is. Sometimes the heart wants what it wants. I love books with all my heart and it would be unthinkable for me to stop reading but i guess someone else might feel completely different to how i feel. Never judge a book by its cover
morgan4hoof
Favorite Book: The Graveyard Book
Currently Reading: The Turn
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan4hoof.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by morgan4hoof »

One of my favorite quotes is this: There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book. ~Frank Serafini

My thoughts on this is that I MUST date someone who is open to the idea of trying new things. It is not necessary that they read books because, frankly, I read would read enough for both of us. I just want to find someone who is willing to engage in ideas and conversations even if they aren't fully aware of the context. The best relationships push the boundaries of what they are comfortable with so obviously I would do my best to find that perfect book that would change their perspective on reading (bibliophile conversion would be constant), but I also think that it would be their job to try and pull my nose out of books and into the real world. I truly believe that there is a balance to all things so if I were to be in a relationship with someone who didn't have the same passion for reading I don't think it would be a deal-breaker for me.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

Everyone has different interests. Some people like to read and some don't, and that's ok. My boyfriend doesn't like to read but he's great. He gifts me books all the time and he knows to not bother me when he sees me holding a book. Him not enjoying reading doesn't bother me at all.
kgallant01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgallant01.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by kgallant01 »

My husband not only doesn't read, but hates reading. Lucky for me, he like video games so I read while he plays his game. He is very understanding that reading is my stress reliever. He never complains when I start a new book and can't put it down.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

It is extremely rare for my hubby to pick up a book and read. He does understand that I like to read and that is my way to relieve the stress from the day. He prefers to watch tv so I'll usually read on the couch while he is watching his show. There have been times where I've gotten him to go see a movie with me that is based on a book I've read. For example, he's watched all the Harry Potter movies with me even though he's never read any of the books.
gah1223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gah1223.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by gah1223 »

I think that I can. Dating a reader means having a constant argument about books haha. I would rather talk at someone about what I'm currently reading!
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
DancingSpatula
Currently Reading: Yildun, Worldmaker of Yand
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingspatula.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by DancingSpatula »

Robyn_original wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 03:10 And you can ask your partner (carefully, without spoiling if they haven't reached that part yet ) what they think about a certain character or situation, and you can speculate together about what's going to happen.

And it's so nice when your partner suggests a book they know you would love and they were right. Or sharing your favorite book with the person you love.
Yeah, you definitely miss out on that if your partner doesn't read. :x :|
Rawan Alamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawan-alamin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rawan Alamin »

That would be really hard! Not even a magazine reader? :lol:
I would date but he has to understand my love for books and let me get dramatic with books and cry without disturbing me :lol:
Robyn_original
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-original.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Robyn_original »

DancingSpatula wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 19:10
Robyn_original wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 03:10 And you can ask your partner (carefully, without spoiling if they haven't reached that part yet ) what they think about a certain character or situation, and you can speculate together about what's going to happen.

And it's so nice when your partner suggests a book they know you would love and they were right. Or sharing your favorite book with the person you love.
Yeah, you definitely miss out on that if your partner doesn't read. :x :|
Yes, it's really important to me to be able to bond that way since I love reading so much ! I want to be able to share that love with my partner!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”