Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mehereen_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehereen-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mehereen_reads »

Yes off course I can date someone who doesn't like reading I mean when you are in a relationship you love him as a person and you love his soul. I don't think so it's important or compulsory to have same taste.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I do date someone who doesn't read. I mean occasionally I'll be like 'Hey, we need to gush over this book together' but the rest of the time he's content with doing his thing. And I love him for it. Besides, he'd know if I ever quoted a book wrong, and we absolutely cannot have that ;)
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

No, I cannot. I can imagine it now, I am sitting on the couch trying to read my book, and there it is I am interrupted by someone that does not understand my reading time is important to me.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

Yes because it could still stimulate conversation about both the plot and your insights into the deeper meaning of the story.
Sablefranco
Currently Reading: You Were Here
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sablefranco.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Sablefranco »

I am married to someone who doesn’t read. I think we compliment each other though. I read, cook, and clean. He does the mechanical work and garage work. What I’m not good at, he is.

So yes, it is possible for an avid reader to be in a successful relationship with someone who doesn’t read! We make it work and it works very well!
Andy37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy37.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Andy37 »

I think I could since I rarely meet guys who thoroughly enjoy reading.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Yes I could date someone who doesn't read...I married him :) we talk about the books I read...I don't necessarily need to discuss them but I like to tell him about little things in the books or a good twist. He said he wanted to read 4 books this year but just started the first one...I like to tease him about it since I read about a book a week
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I've never found a partner as bookish as me, perhaps opposites really do attract? A lack of reading has never stopped me from dating anyone, but it would be a big plus to have someone to share books and bookish conversations with!
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html

Post by TalonFox »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )

I’ve met a couple of people that don’t like to read, and with luck I’ve mostly gotten them to pick up a book. Sharing excitement and interest in something tends to get people to want to try it and BOY do I get excited about explaining what book I’m reading :D haha
But overall as long as they let me share my interests, if they have different ones that’s fine by me.
Outlawm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Outlawm »

I didn’t just date someone that doesn’t read but I married him. I also have 1 of 3 kids that doesn’t enjoy reading. Although I don’t understand how one can’t enjoy reading, I still love them. LOL!
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

No, oh no way. I couldn't even if I tried! When I go to someone's house I check out their books first!
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html

Post by TalonFox »

But I really believe that people who don't read just haven't found a book that they like yet!! There's so many amazing novels out there for everyone's taste. We should first try to share the love of reading instead of dismiss those who are not aware of it!!
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Definitely. There are tons we could talk about aside from books and novels. As long as we have something common that we both like, we can talk about those instead.
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

Right now I am dating someone that does not read. When I am explaining a book to him, he looks engaged and like he is listening, but I know he is just doing that to be nice. At times it can be frustrating because I just want to find someone to talk about the book with. That is the beauty of social media because I can find thousands of people that can talk about my favorite books. I have accepted the fact that he will never read for leisure, and that is okay because it just is not part of our relationship.
-Tinuthien-
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinuthien.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by -Tinuthien- »

Nope, never. My conversations with people either consist of discussing mutual friends, mutual memories or history and booke. If the last one should be impossible, I don't think I could even be remotely interesting in conversation, so dates would be.... awkward.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”