Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ilsze
Currently Reading: The Instant Economist
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilsze.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Spring by G.X. Chen

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Ilsze »

Probably. I'm sure there would be other things for us to bond over!
MBW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by MBW »

Interesting question! An avid reader wasn’t on my “qualifications” list, so no surprises that my husband isn’t a fan of reading. When dating, we were in college and in the same major so we did talk about the textbooks lol. The only way this hinders our relationship is that he doesn’t understand that ‘let me finish the chapter then you’ll have my full attention’ thing that I’m sure all readers feel.
MBW
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by MBW »

knightss wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:18 there are more things that can be discussed than just books. this is kind of hypocritical though because most of the people i choose to associate with read books and are able to hold better conversations than "how was your day?" and "did you see such-and-such tv show last night".. intellectual conversations are much better than mindless dribble.
I respectfully disagree with this as a general rule. For example, my husband really dislikes reading but he loves listening to podcasts and stays up on current events, which brings variety into the conversation. All the same, it sounds like you have found your people and appreciate them, which is wonderful :)
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allybear »

I have dated many men who did not read and we got along just fine, granted I enjoy many other various hobbies and can always find common ground with another person. But then if I do meet someone who reads it’s almost always they read a completely diff genre than I would ever consider such as biographies or non fictional. I find these people to lack imagination and end up being too serious for my liking. Still waiting on a partner who loves a good fantasy or sci-fi.
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

I married a man who didn’t read at all. We have been together for 18 years and married for 12. Now he reads more than I do. Things change in life, as do people. I wouldn’t say no to dating him just because he didn’t read for fun.
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by DrPatti8454 »

Actually, the short answer is "No" based on whom I am attracted to. I always thought I was drawn to an older crowd or professor types, but after I passed the oral for my dissertation, the committee takes you out to dinner as a ritual that your status has changed; that the student was no longer learning at the feet of learned colleagues, you are equal to them. Then it dawned on me that it wasn't the age of someone I was attracted to, it was what they knew and what I could learn from them. My answer is still "No".
HBrown23

Post by HBrown23 »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )
I have both dated people that read and people that do not read, I have found that they each had qualities that I liked and qualities that I didn't like. However when it comes to the ones that read, I found that most of the lads that read books were happy to have me read books that they suggested but wouldn't read the types of books that I liked, so to me having a partner that reads can be a double edged sword of sorts...

In terms of conversation with a non-reader I haven't found their conversation lacking. I date someone who chooses not read now and we do not lack for conversation topics. He listens to me when I go on about books that I am enjoying even if he has never read them. Most importantly he leaves me alone when I get stuck in a book that I enjoy.

So my answer is yes I could date a person who chooses not to read.
Taylor Renee Barraclough
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-barraclough.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by Taylor Renee Barraclough »

I'd say yes. My life is pretty much all about books and reading, but most of the people I know aren't as big of readers as I am. My husband loves to read, but he almost never does because he finds it hard to sit still for long periods of time. We've actually come up with a compromise in the last several years of listening to audiobooks together instead. It lets him move around and be active while still getting to experience the story. Whether I'm reading it separately or listening to it with him it gives us a chance to bond over the stories we both love.
pengy86
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pengy86.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by pengy86 »

Yes, my husband isnt a reader. Its my go to way to relax, his is watching sports. So he watches sports while I read on the couch. We make it work.
leavie74

Post by leavie74 »

Only if they are willing to learn or maybe both can't then yes...
slytherdor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherdor.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by slytherdor »

Ideally, I want someone who is smart and always reads. But that's not the case, I can compromise. As long that person has other characteristics that I like too.
viajera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viajera.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by viajera »

I would have said no, long ago, but the man I ended up with isn't a big reader. He used to, he told me once, but now prefers watching the news and stuff.

I don't mind, sometimes, since neither of us have really had much leisure time since we had our first baby. If I do read, I read the familiar ones that I've loved rereading several times (like good escapist fantasy books). Tbh, only since I've joined this site have I started exploring new books again. 😉
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I could definitely date someone who doesn’t read, as long as they are understanding that when I’m reading they can’t speak to me haha
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I could, as long as he can give me audience when i wish to discuss a book and as long as he does not have a problem with my constant reading.
Diana_Montoya
Currently Reading: Sentimental Education
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-montoya_1407418.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Diana_Montoya »

I have. And we lasted around two years together, and the relationship didn't end because of his lack of interests in book.

Reading other responses to this question brings back to mind something I've thought about every now and then: reading is overrated. Now, hear me out before the outrage sparks. Reading doesn't make someone a better person, more intelligent, or even more interesting. I studied literature, meaning I was surrounded by people who enjoyed reading every single day, and the amount of people that were bland and boring was immense. In fact, though most of my friends enjoy reading, books are the thing we least talk about most of the time. On the flip side, I've had hours-long engaging conversations with people who don't read at all.

So, for me at least, if my potential partner reads or not isn't really a question I bother asking.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”