Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Galesphere »

I guess this is a generalization, but most people who don't read tend to have a boring personality to me. They don't have to be a lover of classical literature like me, but they have to be reading SOMETHING on a daily basis, whether it be a newspaper, medical journals, or heck, even manga. Because whatever you read, there are always ideas, lessons, cultures, trends, and philosophies to discover and share.

My husband doesn't read the books I do, but he does read other things, and we're able to discuss things, even though our preferences are totally different. So, I guess what I'm saying is, no. I could not have married my husband if he didn't read SOMETHING on a daily basis.

And honestly, before I was married, I rarely dated anyone who didn't share a love of reading in some way. Readers are a different breed altogether, aren't we? We're thinkers!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I think I could. I know a lot of people who don't like to read; they just have other hobbies and interests. Some people don't have the attention span to sit and read.

That being said, I'm very glad my husband likes to read. We've had times where we both just sat together on the couch and read books. It was so relaxing. Also, I have two kids and I feel it's good for them to see us reading. I'm hoping when they're older they'll love to read!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I agree, that is why I wouldn't shy away from someone who does not get the stimulation from the same place I get it from. I love mind games and video games as well. But other than that I'm stumped. What other ways are there?
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

Of course I could, I actually am. We have to respect that everybody is different and everybody has different interests.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
EmilyWashburn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilywashburn.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by EmilyWashburn »

My boyfriend doesn't read often, but he gets very passionate about the books he does read. He's also really good about showing interest in whatever I'm reading by asking questions and letting me rant about characters and such. It's not the same amount of reading I need so much as the support :)
langenbrat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-langenbrat.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by langenbrat »

I married someone who didn't really read. He's never been in a library before. Now we go weekly and he finishes a book a week. It's actually the place we go more often than anywhere else (aside from work and the grocery store). He's an intelligent man, but he wasn't raised in an atmosphere conducive to reading and education.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

No, never! Reading is what teaches you everything. Someone who doesn't read is forever trapped in the dreariness of reality. :techie-studyinggray: :snooty: :techie-reference:
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

I would date someone who didn’t read as long as they absorbed stories in some way - whether it be radio plays, TV series/shows, films, even art. Stories = empathy. If they were a cold logical person who only cared about stuff like maths and sports I’d get bored pretty fast.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

That's a really apt question. Yes, I could and I am. While I am a bibliophile, I am open-minded enough to understand that it is not for everyone. Some have cooking. some have racing. some have music. I have books. But, true, It sucks that you can't discuss the books you are crazy about. I am ready to hear him rant about bikes. :? same way, he is willing to hear me out when I go into my book-frenzy-phase. Especially, I love it when he listens attentively and asks cross-question. Also, he leaves me alone when I really really want to finish a book before midnight. :techie-studyinggray: he knows not to disturb me. Makes me feel proud. Nobody is perfect. Yes, I would love for him to read. but, I have come to terms with it. :D
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

MandyP wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 04:54 Of course I could, I actually am. We have to respect that everybody is different and everybody has different interests.
That is so true. We should be able to respect the difference in taste If we want a healthy relationship. We shouldn't force our hobby on them. It will never work that way. don't you think?
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Yes. People's interests differ, and others are totally not into reading though they may just be good in other areas. I don't necessarily have to date someone whose hobbies and mine are the same.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Yeah, I would, but with a few caveats: they shouldn't have some sort of prejudice against those who do and should be willing to see how important books are to me. My current boyfriend isn't much of a reader per se, but he does enjoy audiobooks and will often get the audio version of a book that I love so that we can have a nice little chat about it.
louise_kayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by louise_kayla »

I have dated someone who didn't read, and as someone who does read all the time, it caused problems when I had a book I loved that I wanted to read on a date, or curl up in bed or on my porch instead of seeing a movie or going out. It got frustrating when I bought him a new book from his favorite series as a kid and he didn't care about it, just kinds shrugged and gave it back saying he wouldn't read it anyways.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kaylee123 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 12:59 I think I could. I know a lot of people who don't like to read; they just have other hobbies and interests. Some people don't have the attention span to sit and read.

That being said, I'm very glad my husband likes to read. We've had times where we both just sat together on the couch and read books. It was so relaxing. Also, I have two kids and I feel it's good for them to see us reading. I'm hoping when they're older they'll love to read!
I also can think of some instances where I have had to leave reading for a while, especially when you find that you need some time off to do something else. Hobbies are many and so people may not necessarily like what you like but then when you begin engaging in a conversation you learn a lot from each other.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
bizybone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bizybone »

Me don't have issues with it as far as the chemistry is between us am good to go and every different with their hobby or whatever interest them

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”