Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Europeandescent1
Favorite Book: How to win friends and influence people
Currently Reading: The Coronation (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 62

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Europeandescent1 »

For me, I cannot even think that someone does not read. It’s a given. On the other hand, if a person reads 24/7 that would be a deal breaker. He doesn’t need to be a book buddy and I wouldn’t be looking for a bookworm, but reading is a great barometer of common interest and common intellectual level I find vital.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

That would help, but then i'd have him reading something about what we do have in common. :) I can't imagine a place where he does not share a love of books. I don't want to have to explain why I have so many books, and my love of buying to many. ^_^
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Joak25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Joak25 »

Well I don't know really, I know we shouldn't base relationship on things like this but I would really love to know that someone I am involved with is smart enough to know that reading is part of living
Olivia Grace
Currently Reading: Happiness is All We Want!
Bookshelf Size: 310

Post by Olivia Grace »

I have and it's usually not a problem because I discuss all books with my best friend l. And as long as the person I am dating understands how important books are to me, and doesn't mind, then I would date them :wink:
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Easily. We are all allowed various interests and theirs could be something else.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I married a person who never reads. I remember buying him a book once. You know, for the bathroom. Nope didn’t even read that. It’s frustrating. But the good thing is he appreciates that I love it and gives me my space to read.
chapter-one
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chapter-one.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron

Post by chapter-one »

I think I could date someone who didn't read, as having different interests is one of the things that make relationships so rich and interesting.
Gina-Renee15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gina-Renee15 »

:shock: I Wouldn't Even Dream Of Staying In The Same Breathing Space With Him Talk More Of Dating, Reading Is Like Air To Me. I Like Someone Who I Would Be Able To Dicuss Certain Topics With.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

No, they need to have half a brain and be able to hold a conversation. I don't mind if we like different types of books/magazines but they need to be exercising their brain.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I don’t think I could date someone who didn’t like to read. I would be fine even if it was only once in a while. Reading for me is like exploring a whole new world and being able to expand my imagination. So if the person I’m dating didn’t like to read I probably wouldn’t have much in common with them or would find them dull & boring.
Amyb77
Favorite Book: Meditations to the other side
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Amyb77 »

I could date someone who doesn't read, but they will have to know not to interrupt my reading and know this is important to me.
Olive Branch Reader
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Olive Branch Reader »

Interesting hypothetical. If I were single, young and available for a date: I would refuse to, even, entertain the idea of dating a non-reader. We would not have anything in common, I suppose.

My husband reads the classics (the hardbound, gold-gilded, browned-pages) from our antique collection, such as G.A. Henty's historical novels. Whenever he engages himself in reading and pores into the entire book for hours, I always want to date him to a nice evening of special, romantic dinner.

But when he's not into reading, even the ones I suggest, I read some chapters or passages to him. He's a wonderful listener. :)
Edidiong Francis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edidiong Francis »

For me,reading passion get nothing to do with emotional feeling,how you feel about someone is difference from reading to acquire knowledge or understanding,this are two different thing,let's not say,because of having passion for reading,we miss someone that our heart love most,e.g i have seen an army intellingence dating an artist,and they are getting along too too well,their profession does nt stop intimate conversation,so passion have nothing to do with emotion.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Yeah I'd definitely date someone that doesn't read. It's not a problem because we could have so much more in common.
rupe10
Favorite Book: The Polished Hoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupe10.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by rupe10 »

The odd thing is that the older I get, the fewer people I meet that are into reading at all.

Mention a book and you get a blank stare, a scrunched-up face if not worse.

That being said -- not only could I, but have many times.

It’s no big deal to me because if there’s chemistry, there are plenty of other pursuits and shared experiences to get in to or chew the fat about.

I also respect the fact that, perhaps, I may not be into something dear to their being and that shouldn’t deal-breaker, either.

For instance, my most recent ex couldn’t help trying –almost became like a game-- to get me to watch musicals. Nothing doing, but that wasn’t anywhere close to what broke us.

Of course, I’m being a bit of a hypocrite because I do have deal-breakers…
Just not the reading one.

And on the flipside I was once the weak link, in terms of reading, in one relationship. The formerly better half would actually introduce herself as a “bibliophile” in mixed company – leaving me to explain it to the victims during her washroom/drink treks. Good times, that.

If I could choose, though, I’m definitely ticking that elusive reader box

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”