Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vargash1987
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Icon Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Vargash1987 »

I couldn’t date a non reader these days you can read even online news or something.
Readers are intellectual people I mean I’m still in a phase of settling a career so yeah I rotos y date a non reader 🙅🏻‍♀️
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

As long as they don't mind me reading, I feel like I could date someone who doesn't read.
James Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-edwards.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by James Edwards »

Yes, because it would give me the chance to open up a whole new world to that person. If I could find a topic that really interested her, I would be able to coax her with an easy read and move on from there.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

:techie-studyingbrown: I'd have to say no..unless they were blind. My husband needs to be an avid reader of one very important book. The Bible, God's holy word, is a very important part of my life. It needs to be a special part of my husband's life as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
snr326
Currently Reading: The Alice Network
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by snr326 »

I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read because it is such an important part of my life. I think that if someone chooses not to read then they are limiting themselves to continuously learning. I don't really think there's any excuse for not reading at least once a week. It doesn't have to be a book necessarily but picking up a magazine or newspaper just to learn something new, that's one of the best parts of reading in my opinion.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

Yes of course 😊. Reading has always been a very personal and calming ritual for me that I grew up not sharing with the people I actually live with. Back when I was a kid, it used to be my escape from the daily stress of being in a big family. The book sharing and discussion part, I enjoyed with my best friend when we were at school. Although an intellectual friendship is special in its own way, it clearly doesn't make a person any more or less interesting in their individual lives. My husband can't sit and relax with a book at all, but his zest for life and a very high EQ as an extroverted personality keeps me so interested in his conversation topics that we never run out of things to talk about. I used to think it'd make a lot of difference if he read more, but with each passing day, I think we both do fine doing our own things at times and bonding over some other stuffs instead. 🙂
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I don't think I could, as I want to date someone with similar interests to me. I find that many people who don't read tend to believe reading is boring or stupid. I'd much rather share experiences with a person who is already open to having those experiences, even if it is something as simple as discussing books.
rjohnston815
Currently Reading: Fix: Sex, Lies & Banking
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnston815.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by rjohnston815 »

My husband is not a book reader, but reads a lot of articles, news, short stories... could I date a non-reader? Probably not because with the amount that I read, a non-reader would think I was a crazy person. I need my partner to at least understand my love of reading...
Weird_Illustrator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weird-illustrator.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Weird_Illustrator »

Interesting question and actually one I've asked myself before. For now I can say that I obiously can since I am dating a person who reads nearly nothing and while it does annoy me it gives me the chance to try to "convert" someone into a reader themselves. I'm constantly talking about books and while my partner hasn't read them they still listen and ask interesting questions that come to their mind while I ramble on. I can see how that could be kind of a "no-go" for some but I like summarising whole books and characterising all the charakters in a seemingly endless speech and as long my partner shows interest in that I think I'm ok.
MK_Lexington
Favorite Book: S.
Currently Reading: The Magician's Nephew
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mk-lexington.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by MK_Lexington »

One of the many books that is near and dear to my heart is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I was on a cheesy date once watching the sunset and we struck up a conversation about the golden colors in the sky. At one point I said, "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold." Not being a reader, they didn't get the reference. Let's just say that relationship didn't last long.

:snooty:
Giets1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giets1.html
Latest Review: The United States of Opioids by Harry Nelson

Post by Giets1 »

I love reading but my fiance is not a big fan. However, that does not worry me as I still tell him about what I am reading and he enjoys hearing about it (I think he does anyway, if not he is just eager to please me!). We spend time together - him watching his cooking channels and me reading, so it's a win-win I'd say.
cowolter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cowolter »

No.

However I would like to clarify that the following counts as "reading books" for me: Audiobooks, textbooks, reading books online such as google books.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

It's a little late for me to consider that since I am married, but to me it is definitely not a deal-breaker. You can have stimulating conversations and share your thoughts and ideas with someone who doesn't read.
Neelam15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelam15.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Neelam15 »

Yes, i guess it shouldn't be an issue to me. There are many things that don't interest me and might interest my partner. I think i would be happy reading while he is busy watching some match on tv or playing games on his phone.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I think it's okay as long as they understand that I have to read, that I need the space and time for reading, and that it's okay for me to talk about what I'm reading. That last part may be a dealbreaker since it's a bit difficult for me to not include my primary hobby in conversations.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”