Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Skye45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye45.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Skye45 »

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. My fiancé use to be a very avid reader and still has a love for literature. He doesn't read anymore though. He will let me sit and rant about books to him for hours on end and will even let me read to him. Personally, I think it depends on the person and the relationship in general. Some people out there just hate reading all together and don't see a point in it at all. Those people are monsters.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I definitely can't. I actually had this time when I was talking to a guy on a date that was going really well, when suddenly, he replied to my " i love reading books" with "i don't read books at all". It was good bye within minutes.
Sh3rlockian
Currently Reading: The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Sh3rlockian »

Yes, I could date someone who doesn't read. If by doesn't read, you mean in the traditional sense. They wouldn't have to always have their nose in a printed book, so long as they were interested in other forms and mediums of storytelling. It would be difficult to relate to someone who didn't appreciate fiction for its escape or nonfiction for its educational value, regardless of how they did their "reading".
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I don't think I can. Reading has widened my views and I don't like people saying "why do you even read the book when it has a movie?". Total turn-off. Also, if I date someone who doesn't read, he may not understand why I prefer reading than talking to him sometimes.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I don't know, I feel like I could, but they would have to be okay with me talking about my books to them! As someone who really likes to deep-dive in the classics when I have the time (most recently was Absolom, Absolom!, which let me tell you, was quite the deep-dive), as well as someone who like to read cheesy murder mysteries on her free time, I would hope that I could rant to them about my books, just as they could rant to me about their tv shows or sports or what-have-you.
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

Yes.

I married a person who doesn't enjoy reading. In fact he will sometimes have me read posts and news article and then summarize them for him.

However he understands that I love to read and he supports it. My husband learned the names of my favorite authors and knows most all of their books that I own and/or have already read. He buys me books just because and for my birthday, Christmas, and any other holiday where gift giving is the norm.

He enjoys watching movies and will suggest that we sit down and watch something that he knows I just finished reading. For example I finished reading The Stand and he suggested we watch the movie that same night.

Sometimes our idea of spending quality time together is him sitting on the couch playing a video game and me curled up beside him with my nose in a book. Just enjoying be close to each other.

Finally if I really want to talk about a book he listens.
nina soledad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-soledad.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by nina soledad »

I could, as long as he is a good and decent person. I like books and i like reading, but i think these would not define who i would go out with. Maybe, while dating, i would be able to influence him to read.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Absolutely. To each his own. Besides, the more interests the more interesting life will be.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
TheMain_Jane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheMain_Jane »

Sure, as long as they don't "hate" reading. I don't understand people who hate to read.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

To be honest reading is an important part of my life and I could only date someone who does not read, as long as they can appreciate and do not mock me because I do. In turn, as long as there is other things we can talk about and still enjoy a life and partnership together it should not be a problem.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I don't think that I could marry someone who doesn't read. It is such a large part of my life. Fortunately I am married to someone who loves to read as much as I do. While we don't always read the same type of books, we do enjoy sharing thoughts and recommendations- and we both love Dan Brown!
Laura3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura3.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Laura3 »

I know I would want him to read scriptures daily. Being united in faith is important to me.
Babyshamu98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babyshamu98.html
Latest Review: Blood Red Moon by Lee Roberts

Post by Babyshamu98 »

I think I could date a non-reader, but it would be hard. They would have to respect that I read a lot and that I will ignore them for hours at a time, because I have gotten lost in a book. This is hard for a lot of not-readers to understand.
I could not date someone who hates to read, I can not stand people who live in ignorance and don't want to further their knowledge.
From personal experience I can say that it is not easy to date a reader either. The debates that one falls into about characters and plots can become very heated, very fast. This does put a bit of pressure on the couple.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

I married someone who doesn't like to read! He still actively listens when I talk about books. He is a musician, so although I am not well versed in music theory, he still tells me about the work he does, just as I tell him about what I'm reading and writing about. We share similar struggles and I don't expect him to love the same things I do. Actually, I read while he practices piano, which is an amazing way to share our passions together.

All that is to say I don't think it is necessary to have a partner who reads as long as that partner is respectful and interested in YOU and your passions. :)
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

I feel like...no? I mean, it doesn't have to be strictly books, but someone who doesn't read anything, at all? Who choose not to or just doesn't like to? That's a big nope.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”