Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Stephanie Keener »

I am married to a non-reader, and it has never been a problem. He has his hobbies, and I have mine. We also do things together such as camping and hiking. While on our camping trips, I will enjoy reading a good book while he is off fishing. He enjoys when I talk about the different books that I’m reading though, and we can have discussions about them. He just doesn’t have the patience to sit and read a book himself. He is extremely intelligent in so many different subjects. The fact that he doesn’t read any books has never been an issue for us.
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

I married a non-reader. Many people who don't enjoy reading find it difficult due to dyslexia. That is why my husband doesn't read for enjoyment. He does read things he must for work and he sometimes reads things he that aren't long or from which he can learn something. He frustrates me sometimes when he thinks I read too much, but other times he enjoys it if I read to him. Unfortunately, both my children also have dyslexia so they don't read much either. My grandchildren enjoy reading like I do so I have the chance to talk to them about books.
funmilayo_h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funmilayo-h.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by funmilayo_h »

Well, my boyfriend is not a great reader, he reads only when he is given books to read for an assignment, books make him sleepy but he's actually very smart so I won't count him out and not date him.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

I've been married almost 18 years to a non-reader :) We share hobbies but reading is my own thing and he has a couple of interest that he does without me too. We have 3 kids-2 don't like to read and then 1 who is an avid reader. It is what it is lol.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I have no problem with that. Our hobbies are different, and I don't interfere. We respect each other's interests.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Honestly, I have liked a guy before who did not like reading. We got along relatively well in spite of that as we had other hobbies we could bond over. So while it may be important to have one or two hobbies in common (to facilitate bonding), it is also really cool to have different interests. Learning to compromise can be for the benefit of both parties in the long run.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

That's no way possible for me to do that. I just can't even digest when someone says they doesn't likes reading books.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Not possible because they would not appreciate my hobby. I would like someone likes and understand what I'm doing.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

LuciusM wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 08:19 Not possible because they would not appreciate my hobby. I would like someone likes and understand what I'm doing.
Even though my husband is not a reader he's always been very supportive of my reading hobby, just like I'm supportive of his hobbies that I don't participate in. I've been married for looooong time, lol, and it's actually kind of nice to have my own thing/he has his own stuff. We have a lot of common interests, but it's easy to lose your identity when you're married/have kids etc. Having a hobby that's my own is nice :)
Nuke-Queen
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nuke-Queen »

I have been with my partner for 11 years since we were 16 and he has read since leaving school 1 book where I would read a book a day if I had the time.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think it would be strange. But, if the time I spent reading he spent doing something else and if he didn't have a problem with me spending time reading, then it might not be so bad. I can always find something else to talk about and I realize that not everyone has patience for reading.
Lina-Hammami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-hammami.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lina-Hammami »

i think prefer someone who reads… who i can discuss my favourite books with him, recommend and take recommendations from him, challenge and write our to do reads with him .
Soo and because i believe reading gives us depth and vision unless he is a thinkable person I won't date someone who doesn't read
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

SwissKeener wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 08:42 I am married to a non-reader, and it has never been a problem. He has his hobbies, and I have mine. We also do things together such as camping and hiking. While on our camping trips, I will enjoy reading a good book while he is off fishing. He enjoys when I talk about the different books that I’m reading though, and we can have discussions about them. He just doesn’t have the patience to sit and read a book himself. He is extremely intelligent in so many different subjects. The fact that he doesn’t read any books has never been an issue for us.
I am also married to a non-reader and it has never been an issue. I support his hobbies he supports mine and life continues beautifully.
AgentJay007
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
Bookshelf Size: 24
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by AgentJay007 »

Nah, I don't think so. I'd find it hard to relate with you. Sure we might not read the same genre of books, that's ok. But to not read at all is a big turn off for me.
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

As long as they don't intervene with my reading and not judging me my habit of crying over book characters, I am fine. But certain ground rules are to be followed. No folding my books, handling them with utmost care etc.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”