Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by vermontelf »

One of the things that I love about discussions with my husband is when we discuss books. However, he almost never reads now, largely because he works such long hours and then his eyes are too sore to read when he finally gets home. We have tried a few audio books, but he tends to fall asleep to those, so discussion is pretty difficult...
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I would. As long as they are accepting of my need to read and accept that it is my idea of fun. Unfortunately, not a lot of non-readers I have come across have this understanding, so it does make the pool less populated.
LizzyGirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzygirl1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B0773JVW5Z

Post by LizzyGirl1 »

Of course. Everyone has different strengths and interests. Being able to appreciate and respect each other's preferences is what makes for a great relationship. We don't have to do everything together. Life is about so much more. If you must have reading in common then there is not enough of everything else to make the relationship enjoyable and worthwhile. Plus the person might have different reading preferences that you may not share anyway. Remember that reading enriches our lives and knowledge - it's not just for our social resume! Thanks Scott. This was an interesting topic!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

It is a tough question. He would have to be ten times more interesting than a book I'm currently reading.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Hypothetically speaking, I would be able to because I do not think that someone reading or not reading books can influence whether I romantically like a person.
jedelyn28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jedelyn28 »

Yes, :D because it might enlighten his mind to read a book if he always see me reading books .
Davewv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davewv.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Davewv »

I dated someone who claimed to read but didn’t. We were together a long time, but the more we were together the more I realized that she had only read one series, and used that to say that she liked SF. She weirdly, didn’t have many likes or dislikes. It really got dull, she was intellectually disinterested.
peter Novler
Favorite Book: Heartaches
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-novler.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by peter Novler »

Honestly no. Every or almost everyone literate would always love to read. I'ts part of responsibility for the brain. Dating a person who doesn't read will never understand my happiness, and may end up saying that I am crazy, Psycho. Once you get into reading, usually, you are connecting with another audience very involving that you wouldn't want to let go.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I am currently married to a loving man who doesn't read at all. Books are a huge part of my life and he understands that. Bowling is a huge part of his life and I'm not interested in that at all. While it would be nice to be able to discuss my favorite books with him (and he does listen when I talk about them) I understand that different people have different hobbies. When you fall in love with someone, its usually other qualities that you look for like financial stability and how they treat you. As long as he doesn't dump on your love of books and still gives you space when you're reading, whether he reads or not isn't super important. At least, that's been my experience. :D :D :D :D
KingMeraz
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingmeraz.html
Latest Review: Back to Serve by CW3 Cesare Giannetti U.S. Army (Ret.)

Post by KingMeraz »

Absolutely not.

Reading is almost as important to me as being physically fit. Books (or at least the last book I enjoyed) are one of the first three things I talk about during early dating along with music and exercise.

While I can co-exist with somebody that doesn't run as much or as often as I do I would not allow myself to be with a woman that does not enjoy reading. It doesn't have to be forcefully literature; even the news or magazine articles can serve the purpose of putting my mind at ease.

You see, I like knowing my partner is constantly learning and sharing something new. Very interesting conversations flourish from reading the same passages and even if our opinions are not always the same we can benefit from eachother's point of views, making our relationship that much more enriching and therefore more durable! :techie-reference:
I_Am_Israt
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Ten Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-am-israt.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by I_Am_Israt »

For me, it's impossible to date someone who doesn't read books. Reading book is my passion. I will never waste my time with a guy who don't read books.
"A Room Without Books is Like a Body Without a Soul"
-Marcus Tullius Cicero
Bookworm555
Favorite Book: The Name of the Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm555.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Bookworm555 »

I'm in a relationship with someone who doesn't read at all. It's fine with me as long as he let's me read, of course. He even turns on extra lights for me and lowers the sound volume on TV in order for me to have my peace and quiet. He's always interested in what I have to say about a book that I'm reading. I think it's really nice of him to show understanding for this passion of mine and for supporting me in my goal to create a library in our own home :lol:
jedelyn28

Post by jedelyn28 »

Yes , why not I can teach him to read there is no reason not to.
M_fritz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-fritz.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by M_fritz »

Haha! I married a non reader. At first it was super tricky. He felt I wasnt paying attention to him and I was annoyed he would always interrupt my reading. We made it work by me staying up late (I'm a night owl) but had to be in bed by 230am latest 😆 but he doesnt disturb me anymore and he feels a lot better.
Makaylaparker
Currently Reading: The Portrait of a Lady
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makaylaparker.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Makaylaparker »

As long as they don't think themselves higher than the act of reading, then I would be okay with being in a relationship with them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”