Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Chikari wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 00:06 My current boyfriend of 4 years doesn't read almost at all. It doesn't bug me because we have other hobbies in common. Plus, he doesn't ever mind me rambling on about a current book I'm reading and such. I think if I wasn't able to talk about books at all with him it might bother me, but as of right now it doesn't.
This is what I was longing to hear. It is true that at times, regardless of the differences in hobbies that may exist between the two, you will have other areas that both of you like.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have lived to appreciate the beauty of diversity. It would be more interesting and fascinating if one of us liked reading and perhaps the other person loves may be singing. Eventually, life becomes more beautiful and exciting than if both of us could be doing the same things. There are other differences beyond reading and other hobbies that could be harmful to the relationship.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Miranda Jenkins 123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miranda Jenkins 123 »

I would not date them but I will help them how to read cause that the right thing to do :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

Maybe I could. Our topic on conversation may depend on other things that we have in common. My husband is more of a comic book reader and I'm a novel reader, we get along just fine. We listen to each other's opinion about what we've read or what we like. It doesn't make him less of a man if he's not a novel reader. The character, personality, values, and other things matters more than if he reads books or not.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
amandamsta
Currently Reading: A Lesson Before Dying
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandamsta.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by amandamsta »

Kibetious wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 12:34
Chikari wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 00:06 My current boyfriend of 4 years doesn't read almost at all. It doesn't bug me because we have other hobbies in common. Plus, he doesn't ever mind me rambling on about a current book I'm reading and such. I think if I wasn't able to talk about books at all with him it might bother me, but as of right now it doesn't.
This is what I was longing to hear. It is true that at times, regardless of the differences in hobbies that may exist between the two, you will have other areas that both of you like.

I was hoping for the same! My boyfriend and I have been dating for two years and as much as I try to find something he enjoys to read, he just doesn't enjoy reading. But, he appreciates the fact that I love to read and buys me books I want to read all of the time. He is also very supportive of the overwhelming about of books were have stored around the house. I think the appreciation of our partner's hobbies whether we enjoy them or not is the key, not necessarily liking and enjoying all of the same things. Thank you for sharing this.
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

It would be really difficult to have a romantic relationship with someone who isn't an avid reader like me. My husband actually reads more than I do. I guess that is one of the reasons I fell in love with him. :)
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess that the end of the day, we will all have different opinions and takes on this which is what makes life more interesting; diversity. Can you imagine a world where everyone likes what you like, talks like you do, and all things are the same. It will sound monotonous which for me would not be pleasant.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

cornelia_SD wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 20:54 Maybe I could. Our topic on conversation may depend on other things that we have in common. My husband is more of a comic book reader and I'm a novel reader, we get along just fine. We listen to each other's opinion about what we've read or what we like. It doesn't make him less of a man if he's not a novel reader. The character, personality, values, and other things matters more than if he reads books or not.
Totally in support of this. Character, personality, values, purpose and vision may matter more than hobbies indeed. That is why we should have something bigger that keeps us together.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

[/quote]

Totally in support of this. Character, personality, values, purpose and vision may matter more than hobbies indeed. That is why we should have something bigger that keeps us together.
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. If you have things or hobbies in common, that is just a plus factor. :)
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
fna110901
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fna110901.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by fna110901 »

Very interesting. No was my first thought..now my second. People need to grow by experience and reading , reading and more reading.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Yes. Couples do not have to share every hobby. Having different hobbies can create healthy distance in the relationship.

If simply not reading will cause you not to love that person, I think you need to check your priorities.
Spencer Mack
Reader Robin

Post by Reader Robin »

Tough question, I think I would get bored dating someone who doesn't read at least something. I think everyone likes to read, they just may not have found something that connects to them yet.
karynation
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karynation.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana
Reading Device: B00X8XA4M0

Post by karynation »

I dated, and eventually married, a person who did not care to read. To be fair, I just assumed that most guys don’t like to read, but it was still a bit weird to me. As long as he respected my “need” to be transported to other realms that did not include him, everything was cool.

However, I inadvertently created a monster. I picked up books at the library that I thought might interest him, mainly motivational and investment type books. Once he read “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki, he was off and running. We had the entire series within a year, were traveling to seminars regularly, and picking up many more books along the way.

I think anyone can become a reader, you just have to help find what motivates them. Not everyone will read just for the simple pleasure.
karynation
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karynation.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana
Reading Device: B00X8XA4M0

Post by karynation »

After having read some of the answers here, I’m laughing right now. I’m sorry. The ones who are adamant that the partner must read or they are unintelligent and unworthy of their time are just funny.

There are more things in life to do than read. *GASP* Yes, I said it. :D Just because you don’t read doesn’t mean you automatically can deduct IQ points. I’ve known people who cannot read who make the most amazingly beautiful furniture and can hold their own on any topic you want to bring to the table. To be well-rounded is much more important.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my husband did not like to read when we first met, but he was easily the most intelligent man I had ever met. That is what drew me to him. But I found that he was willing to listen if I wanted to regale him with my disdain for Mr. Darcy, and though he had never read the book he was willing to converse with me about it which led to even deeper conversations on more philosophical and even spiritual matters. That’s what a true relationship is about. Finding someone you can connect with on many levels. I just think it’s a little short-sighted and a little bit like “the pot calling the kettle black” to claim that someone must be unintelligent if they don’t like the things I like.

Give a non-reader a chance. They might surprise you! ;) :tiphat:
Zuri_The_Sun
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuri-the-sun.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Zuri_The_Sun »

I don't think so. Sometimes, I express my feelings through quite from popular books. I'm an avid reader. I really don't think I can.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”