Books That Changed Your Life

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TicaCS
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Books That Changed Your Life

Post by TicaCS »

I think there are books the defenitly leave a mark on us... For me it was Little women from Louisa May Alcott, It was my firts real book and I can't avoid getting back to it at keas twice a year... Its like it had a deep bound with my feelins, have any of you ever feel the same?
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

TicaCS yes, it was another Alcott book for me. Eight Cousins. Still one of my favourites.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
ember
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ember.html

Post by ember »

Books that really made me change my view of things would be Jessica Valenti's - 1) Purity myth 2) Full frontal feminism.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I would say, Wind in the Willows. There was a part in it were Mole became weary of his travels, and became home-sick. I think that was the first time I felt empathy for someone other than myself.
AvinashM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AvinashM »

"Dont lose your mind, lose your weight". author is rujuta diwekar. this book about everything but losing weight. its about lifestyle and food habits. highly motivating book. i have been following the tips given in this book and have seen a lot of positive changes in me.

-- 29 Dec 2015, 09:22 --

"Dont lose your mind, lose your weight". author is rujuta diwekar. this book about everything but losing weight. its about lifestyle and food habits. highly motivating book. i have been following the tips given in this book and have seen a lot of positive changes in me.
bcmolina1983

Post by bcmolina1983 »

The Cult of Thinness by Sharlene Nagy Hesse-Biber which examines the obsession women have with being "thin"; it's a great read and really looks into the intersection of the social, political, and economical pressures women face in society that heralds a certain body type to mean perfection.

The Purity Myth by Jessica Valenti which examines this idea that the value of women and girls is correlated to remaining "pure", whatever that means. Talking about purity balls which is a terrifying example of how girls are possessions or owned by their fathers or male father figures, who then are tasked with gatekeeping their purity until there is an appropriate male partner found, and the obsession that America has with female virginity. It's a brutally frank look by one of my favorite feminist writers.

Fiction wise, the book that changed my life was The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton; I consider this the pinnacle of young adult fiction and it inspired me to write a book at the time I read it. I'm still writing that book. :)
DLS19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle2016.html

Post by DLS19 »

I still say that books change my life every day.
In High School, teachers required us to read classic literature, but all I wanted to do was read Shakespeare. He was my first author and play writer that changed my life. Then, as I approached the beginning of College, I began to read the classics on my own! It was very nice to read them at my pace, which was faster than the pace that we had for grade school.
The classic that always gets to me every year is "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. I read this first in 2011, and never finished in in grade school, but when I finished it in College, I couldn't believe what a classic it truly was.
I've read different books between the time I completed Huxley's book, and two days ago I finished another classic that was very touching to me, and I am trying to convince family members to read it as well. Another classic set in the edge of the Civil War era, and this book was also made into the movie. I checked out the movie, and the movie was good, but the book is always better.
That book was "!2 Years A Slave" By Solomon Northrop. Quotes are a big thing for me, and I found so many about life and anti-slavery, I just couldn't help but write each one out, and share them all over social media.

-Danielle Sullivan
:tiphat:
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

danielle2016 wrote:I've read different books between the time I completed Huxley's book, and two days ago I finished another classic that was very touching to me, and I am trying to convince family members to read it as well. Another classic set in the edge of the Civil War era, and this book was also made into the movie. I checked out the movie, and the movie was good, but the book is always better.
That book was "!2 Years A Slave" By Solomon Northrop. Quotes are a big thing for me, and I found so many about life and anti-slavery, I just couldn't help but write each one out, and share them all over social media.

-Danielle Sullivan
:tiphat:

If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts. It was written sometime just prior to the Civil War and is believed to be one of the first novels written by an African-American woman.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
sass-jay23
Currently Reading: Kisses from Katie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sass-jay23.html

Post by sass-jay23 »

"Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis. She leaves everything she has at 18 years old and moves to Africa. Today she has adopted 13 children.
I love the brutal honesty in this book. She does not pretend it was an easy transition or that she is some brave, strong martyr. She's transparent about her fears, doubts, moments of loneliness and regret. She even admits to hating the bugs and small creatures that find their way into her home and bedroom. It is inspiring because she was not equipped with any of the necessary skills to do what she has achieved today. Her family gave her resistance, her boyfriend and her broke up and she was a white girl in a foreign nation where she didn't know the language or culture. And yet she has managed to change thousands of lives.
Nobyeni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobyeni.html

Post by Nobyeni »

I like this question, but it's not so easy to say. Will think about it!
At least, in literature I don't really know. But overall:

The Order of Things, by Michel Foucault.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Yes, I take something away from every book I read.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho gave me a new perspective of the world when I was in High School. Then, years later I re-read it and the same lessons I learned then still applies to the present. It's a classic read for me.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

This is a great question! A co-worker happened to have a book wrongfully delivered to her. She thought I would be interested in the book and gave it to me. It was "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. It changed my life and helped me decide to study Agriculture in college.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

The book that changed my life and gave me a very fresh perspective on art, talent, and life is Mitch Albom's 'The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto'. A book about a struggling musician and a record of his life throughout his music career, which is plagued with success, loss, magic strings, and life-changing lessons.
I just LOVE this book! It is one of my favorite books and I don't think I'll come across any other book for at least a few years that will please me as much as this book has.
If anyone knows of any books similar to this kind please do let me know!!!
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The shadow hunter series and its fantasy world truly changed my life.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”