Did you grow up reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Did you grow up reading?

Post by Bhaskins »

I grew up reading. I'm from a family of readers. It was always my go to hobby. I'm curious how those who didn't grow up reading or with readers in their lives got into reading!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I did! My dad encouraged it from the moment I could recognise the letters so it was a no-brainer as to what I'd love to do with my spare time.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

Absolutely. Not sure how it started, but I remember reading Black Beauty a million times and Horses Illustrated because I wanted a horse soooo bad. My mom was always reading, so I started raiding her bookshelf (it was mostly Native American romance novels by Cassie Edwards, I believe) until I began to build my own. I love seeing my son at 8 love books as much as I do.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I grew up reading. I remember reading the Berenstein Bears and Clifford the Big Red Dog books. I remember always wanting to go to the library so i could get a new book to read. Funny, I don't recall others in my family being big readers. I think I was always the odd one out in that respect. Though when my mom told me she was happy I was such a big reader, I felt really happy too.
Haha, I also remember spending my allowance every time on a new book. I had a whole collection of Fear Street books and books by L.J. Smith.
Once I had a job and my own money, things may have gotten out of hand. Before I had to pay rent and bills all my money went to books. Now i have an entire bookcase full of books I haven't read yet.
DQ--DR+_Pao
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DQ--DR+_Pao »

Yes every moment of school I was hiding in the library reading anything from Ursula Le Guin to Emily Dickinson. At night when lights were out I had a flash light and read under the covers. I love books, I even love to look at books. My husband teaches Anthropology and we hooked up during the Vietnam war, we were both medics serving the Marines. We had many road trips and one in particular I read to him The Electric KoolAid Acid test and laughed through 2 states! Right now between us we have around 1000 or more books in our home. Books are our passion.
pjjones6969
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pjjones6969.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by pjjones6969 »

Reading is all I ever remember doing. I don't remember a great childhood so I'm sure that books were my escapes. They still are. I read about 100 books a year. I have 1200 books in my home (of which I will probably never live long enough to read). And the real kicker, I bought my home right next door to a library. Can you say Geek?
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Yes! I remember it was always "you should stop reading and go outside and play." Now we tell them, "stop playing those video games and pick up a book."

I kept all my books from when I was younger and refuse to throw them out. In college, I had such a respect for book I never wanted to mark in them...like everyone else did. No highlights, no nothing.
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

Yes I grew, up reading because my family is all about reading and I rather enjoy it. It has helped me to broaden my vocabulary now I find it easier to express myself. It all began with bedtime stories
"Trust the wisdom of your soul it knows the way" unknown
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I was obsessed with reading from the time I was very young. My family would often be watching TV in the evenings before bed, while I was in my bedroom engrossed in a book. They always encouraged me to do what I loved and I have many memories of my parents taking me into different bookstores and letting me pick out new books-very exciting times for a young bookworm :)
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I grew up reading but it used to frustrate my mom so much because eight year old me would much rather stay up reading Harry Potter than go to sleep at a reasonable time.
Bshord21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bshord21 »

Reading was never a chore in our house, it was just something that we all did. We would spend hours at the library when we were young picking books off shelves for my mom to read, then taking them home once we were older. We would fight over who got to read the Harry Potter book first when new ones came out. We would talk about books we liked and didn’t like at the dinner table. A love of reading was instilled in us from the very beginning.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I absolutely grew up reading and I loved it. It was something me and my mother bonded over, and I love the fictional stories I read at a young age.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
worldbookstore

Post by worldbookstore »

Yea I grew up reading and this is one of my favorite activity. I have a good collection of various type of books, magazines, and catalogs.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Reading has always been a favorite pastime of mine, even when I was very young. Over the years, it has helped me bond with many different people.
~Roxie~
jmurphosio

Post by jmurphosio »

I can credit my reading to being exposed to cool stories early. Charlie Skedaddle, Hatchet, and every comic book I could get my hands on are the reasons I still read today.

Any adult who keeps their children from reading comics on the premise that it is somehow a waste of time, are hurting their children. One man's opinion.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”