Your ultimate reading environment?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vanillacake
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your ultimate reading environment?

Post by vanillacake »

Quiet little nook? In bed? Park?

I love finding an abandoned spot on the beach to cozy up with a good book. What about you guys?
Last edited by vanillacake on 09 Jul 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

As yet, I have not found my ultimate reading environment. Reading in bed sends me to sleep. I can read just about anywhere else. However, I really do enjoy reading with a good coffee, a comfy chair and solitude.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
vanillacake

Post by vanillacake »

Interesting. Reading in bed makes me sleepy too. Although sometimes that's a good thing with my insomnia! What about coffee shops? I see people doing homework and reading in there all the time. I tried it once but I got so distracted with some many people coming in and out I never got much reading done there. :/
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

On the verandah with the rain coming down in my comfy chair with a nice hot coffee. Pure heaven. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Big comfy armchair, warm fire, nice glass of wine & a little silver bell at hand to summon the butler when the glass needs repleneshing or another log needs adding .... who says I can't dream :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
vanillacake

Post by vanillacake »

Fran wrote:Big comfy armchair, warm fire, nice glass of wine & a little silver bell at hand to summon the butler when the glass needs repleneshing or another log needs adding .... who says I can't dream :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now we are getting somewhere! That sounds perfect. *sigh*
wandat

Post by wandat »

When i was a kid it was in the top of the old oak tree in my dad's homemade p.o.s. deer-stand. Nowa-days, in my chair at night when the hubby and kids go to bed... There's some nights I'm up til 3-4am saying just one more chapter!
Donnapants
Favorite Author: Cormac McCarthy
Favorite Book: Spooner by Pete Dexter
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
fav_author_id: 2957

Post by Donnapants »

Ohhh, curled up in bed with extra pillows and a cup of hot tea.
kimberlybosgat

Post by kimberlybosgat »

I like reading books whtever ways, just for free mood
tbughi1
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: Dune by Frank Herbert
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by tbughi1 »

I can read anywhere, especially if the book is good. I can get so absorbed that I lose track of everything around me. One time I didn't even notice my girlfriend was vacuuming in front of me and she had to tap my shoulder to tell me to move my feet so she could vacuum under them.

But yeah, otherwise, I'm right there with everyone else. Comfy chair is optimal. I can read in bed without falling asleep if I lay backwards on the bed (my head goes where my feet should go). Odd but effective.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

In my room or curled up on sofa. In hotel rooms when im on holiday :D
You only live once.....so live!
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I can read just about anywhere and I enjoy it. But I think a nice coffee shop with comfy sofas and muted conversations in the background is pretty ideal
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

Gannon wrote:On the verandah with the rain coming down in my comfy chair with a nice hot coffee. Pure heaven. :D

Oh, I like the sound of that....but with a glass of red wine not the coffee.
I also love reading on a deckchair facing a lagoon at a resort with a cocktail in hand( a girl can dream). I am sounding like I have a drinking problem though :D
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

wandat wrote:When i was a kid it was in the top of the old oak tree in my dad's homemade p.o.s. deer-stand. Nowa-days, in my chair at night when the hubby and kids go to bed... There's some nights I'm up til 3-4am saying just one more chapter!
When I was a girl it was an old willow tree with a perfect spot to hide and read. These days I like my rocker and a good cup of coffee.
DayDreamer

Post by DayDreamer »

I live by the sea so I love a little coffee shop on the coast, curl up on a corner couch with a good people/sea watching/not being disturbed position. Mmm with a cuppa and a biscuit, I'm set for hours haha.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”