Do you view Hollywood, TV, and radio personalities as serious Authos?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Do you view Hollywood, TV, and radio personalities as serious Authos?

Post by Quickstudy »

These days it can be hard to discern the fly by night celebritie author and a serious author who happens to also be a celebritie. What are your views on the topic?
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

After making this topic, I recognize I omitted the r, in the word Author. Late night writing mistakes.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I think not. Actors and TV personalities are capable within the limits of their own craft, but the odds of them ALSO being proficient in other crafts such as writing at a professional level are marginal I would say.

There are exceptions of course. Off the top of my head I could cite Fanny Flagg, a noted TV personality and comedienne, who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes and it was both a literary and cinematic success.

We see a lot of non fictional books being written by TV, sports, and movie personalities, but they are most often ghost-written books which are expose's of the celebrity's life and experiences, but as novelists I think you would have to look far and wide to find an exceptional one from this group.

It would be the same as asking if noted sculptors or painters would make good authors. Within the limits of their specialty such as a book on sculpture or painting .... perhaps .... if they have good writing skills as well, but probably not as novelists.

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Ehhh not really. I mean, technically if they published a book, they are though I feel like there needs to be some sustenance to a book. I feel like many of the celebrity personas write autobiographies that jump all over the place and can also be full of fluffed up "truths". The writing is usually terrible, unless they use a ghost writer. 💁 I'm just not really a fan.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I take each book as it is and try not to let who wrote it influence my opinion (especially before I've even read it)

Some times it can even benefit the book because it can be helpful for hearing their voice.
For Example My Booky Wook by Russell Brand is undeniably his voice, and it really helped me connect with his story.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Celebrity books can be very interesting, as their stories and experiences can be really unique. Often, they're ghostwritten, which probably improves the overall style too. With that said, celebrity books definitely aren't the first genre I reach for.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
SEOMarketing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SEOMarketing »

Yes, I always watching TV Series and radio personalities. And some real people watching a web series and tv show online with streaming apps.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”