Why does some adult read young adult books\Teen fiction?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Re: Why does some adult read young adult books\Teen fiction?

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

I still read children's books to this day. Only for the nostalgia, the cuteness and the simplicity. I am still a very young adult so I will give a proper response in a decade or two...Sorry HAHAHA
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I read it cause it's exciting and the plot are never boring. With adult books it's sometimes just dragging on. The authors of YA books just put so much more effort in creating their characters and plot, that's my opinion and this is what makes it more exciting. I do read other genres like suspense and thrillers though; however when I want a light, interesting and joyful read that can make me escape real life, I always end up with a YA book.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

I do not limit myself by genre; if a book blurb sounds intriguing to me, I read it! YA is not by any means my top-read genre, but some of my all-time favorites have been YA. But come to think of it, many of them were part of a series I started as a teen or young adult and pursued the rest of them or pursued them again years later.

Thinking of some of my favorite YA books, the settings are so imaginative and creative that I became so immersed with learning more about the society inside the book. They also make for light, easy, and playfully fun and fast reads.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

As you can tell from my picture I am not a blooming rosebud, but I particularly liked The Hunger Games series. The story of how I got into that one is a story in itself and I won't bore you with it here (I already bored everybody with it in another forum). I also liked the first book of the Harry Potter series, but not enough to continue with the entire series.

I was not as keen on Divergent or Maze Runner but they were also entertaining and I don't regret reading them.

As to WHY I read them .... mostly because of the hype being generated about them at the time. In each case I told myself if I disliked what I was reading after a few pages I would just stop, but they were all good enough to continue reading to the end.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

If they are parents, they might be curious about what their teenage children read.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

It gives adults a break from their stressful real lives when they can get into a book filled with high school drama. Although it may be dramatic and stressful for the characters, it's nice to think about their fake problems rather than your own.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

I'm with a lot of you or I will enjoy a good ya story. I know that a lot of critics get cringey when you start talking he young adults novels but I agree that the variety and characters arcs are quite interesting and engaging. I read hurricane season by Fernanda melchor which was incredibly dark and harrowing and then I followed that up by reading skyward by Brandon Sanderson which helped set my soul at ease.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

Maybe they feel younger while reading them and it makes their inner child happy :)
human reader

Post by human reader »

For me, and I assume many others, I like YA because it has less language, sexual content, cynicism, etc. You're probably not going to have ten pages about taxes or insurance policies. The adult books I would enjoy are mostly close to YA in content and atmosphere.
Liza Chulukhadze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

My thoughts are that most of them didn't have as much excitement in their teen years as they wanted to. So this is merely a wish to for a few hours at least get back to their youth and feel the emotions they never got to experience.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

DragonLight877 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 12:15 I read young adult when I know I don't want to read anything too dark. The story can still be just as engaging, and the characters just as complex, but usually they tone down the terrible stuff. So they are usually just a pretty safe read for me.
THIS. I wholeheartedly agree.
When you read some serious adult fiction, you can't help but to think about death/mortality, growing old, etc. I mean, more and deeper than usual, or too long. Now I'm pushing 40, so sometimes I just wanna get away at least while reading. Not saying YA books are all about sunshine and flowers, though.
Also, I'm intrigued by popular YA books. Some books not only survive, but THRIVE, even in this age of SNS and various sources of stimulation. Got me thinking, 'What makes these young people gravitate toward BOOKS?! Who says teens and twenty-somethings don't read? The story must be really good...' Authors like Jason Reynolds is one of the best examples.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

For me I think books for young adults tend to focus on characters who are young adults and it's just a fascinating time in people's lives. The transition into adulthood is when everything is possible and when someone's life and future starts to take shape. It's time when all possibilities are open and I think this gives authors a great deal of scope to create really interesting characters and stories.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I find that YA books are often full of adventure and excitement. The emotions and reactions of characters aren't always realistic, but that's okay because these books fuel their reader's imagination. It's fun to escape from reality, no matter the age!
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I love reading young adult and teen fiction. It reminds me of being young again and meeting my first love. There's a nostalgia to it. Even teen tv shows entertain me.
gonelli

Post by gonelli »

I would say the reasons I read YA still, despite being in my 20s, is multifaceted.
1. I don't really have any idea on authors or books in the adult genre that I will like or how to find good recommendations, so I gravitate to familiar hunting grounds, so to speak.
2. A lot of adult literature I have read or looked at tend toward darker, grittier tones that seem repulsed at the idea of a happy ending or at least a not sad ending. Maybe a little childish of me, but I do still enjoy having wonder and awe in a story. I tend not to enjoy a story that's constantly so dark that I feel someone should just pull out a flashlight already.
3. A lot of the YA authors I gravitate toward now and when I was younger tended to write in a style that can appeal to people of all ages because of how it treats its readers with respect. So, I don't feel alienated from the writing style even being older than the target demographic.
4. A lot of YA novels do handle topics outside of coming-of-age stories too, so there's a lot of variety in the type of stories you can read within such a large umbrella.

These are just a couple that come to mind that I can articulate clearly. I've got a couple other reasons floating around, but I'm not sure how to explain them right now.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”