Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Parahiyo »

I guess I would because not everyone has the same interests. We will definitely find other things to talk about, I could even introduce them to reading
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

I’d have to say no, for a few different reasons. I am by no means an avid reader but I do occasionally enjoy sitting down throughout the week for a nice fix of a chapter or two. If I’m not reading a book, then I am immersed in learning a new skill or educating myself on a topic — typically consisting of consuming information by way of reading segments of data or actively listening. If my husband did not read (which he does!), he would be actively consuming new information in other ways. I am attracted to people who are constantly learning, growing, and breaking out of their comfort zone and I’d have to say I believe that runs parallel to voluntary seeking new information throughout ones lifetime.
Allycool
Currently Reading: Mine
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Allycool »

In all reality book readers create this safe place between walls of pages. It is a complex thing to recognize and respect and if you were to date someone who didn't respect those boundaries, then it would completely be your choice. Personally reading is personal, and I like to keep it that way. I believe it would be fine to date someone who didn't like to read, of course if that meant they would respect my passion as I would respect theirs.
Larz91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larz91.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Larz91 »

Many of the men I've dated weren't big on reading for pleasure. It's probably why I'm still single. The most annoying thing men have said or could say to me is "I love that you like to read." :roll: First of all, I don't like to read. I don't even love to read, it is my entire life. Secondly, what do you do with all that non-reading free time?
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Reading is a hobby and not everyone has the same hobbies.So if a get a person who doesn't read but we can work together well then i can date them.They just have to avoid complacency.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I am dating someone who doesn’t read. What bonded us at first though was his amazing book collection. I read most of the books and he just prefers to collect them. We are kind of a cute couple that way. Nothing is taken away from our relationship because he is not a reader. He isa gamer and i am not and we enjoy each other’s differences as we get enough personal space.
Kirsty Knight
Favorite Book: The Trafficking Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsty-knight.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Kirsty Knight »

I personally think that I could date someone who doesn't read, because each to their own, but they would have to fully understand how important books are to me, so if they don't get that then it's a definite no go!
perekenighan
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by perekenighan »

I don't see why not...Opposites attract
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Since he has isolated me- no transportation, no phone service, located on a rural area and he leaves for up to 18 hours a day....I read and write reviews. I suppose you could say I escape in books. I have tried to leave but more than once he has forcibly brought me back and I have pretty much given up on that. Some day I will escape so yes I date someone that doesn't read and that puts down what I have been doing. Biding my time. I will get away
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
peacetracati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by peacetracati »

Seeing how I am married to reader, honestly if anything were to happen to him I wouldn't date a non-reader.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Reading opens up one's mind to various possibilities and perspectives. I feel a partner who doesn't read would seem close-minded to me. As such I don't think I would date someone who doesn't read. There wouldn't be much stimulation for me to keep things interesting.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I don't think so. My boyfriend is a better bookworm than me. He was the one who introduced me to Harry Potter series as I was avoiding it for a long time. It will be really hard for me if my partner will not be encouraging me to read.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I would say no. I love to read and take care of my books is one of my concerns. With haven't someone who does not read, would drive up my worry about my books. Some of them are old and need special handing otherwise they will fall apart.
samuel james
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by samuel james »

I can date but not for marriage because i love reading and that could be our quarrel everyday at home.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I could date someone who doesn't read. I believe in appreciating everyone no matter what their likes and ambitions are, so if a guy I like doesn't read, I wouldn't hold that against him. But he should definitely approve of me reading, and if there is a dislike of reading coming from him I would not be comfortable in that relationship. So he doesn't need to read, but he should be okay with me reading (and occasionally ranting about my books) :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”