What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ryliiee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Ryliiee »

Im reading “The Jungle” by Upton Sinclair
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I am reading the Green Mantle by John Buchan. It's interesting because some of my country's (South Africa) is included, but a bit tense for me to read as a coloured person, because the characters are of the German and Dutch heritage, and the book was written in 1916 ... awkward!

But it's a good read so far.
PetraWelch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petrawelch.html
Latest Review: Zodiac Signs by Smilena Kirilova

Post by PetraWelch »

I am currently reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I have always been fascinated by Greek Mythology and I love the modern, entertaining way he writes his novels. My family always makes fun of me for choosing books in the teenager section, but I always adore the amount of imagination in those books that I sometimes find lacking in "adult" stories.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

I'm reading The Phenomenology of Perception, by Merleau Ponty. A little too granular for my purposes, but it will do. I also recently picked up a descriptionary.

I just finished reading Eleanor and Park, a YA novel by Rainbow Rowell. It chronicles a first love affair, while at the same time addressing the heavy topic of incest as perpetrated by one of the protagonist's stepfather. It's one of the more graphic YA books I've read. I doubt there are many YA that have so graphically addressed the latter topic. Very direct.
EnderIzRandom

Post by EnderIzRandom »

Lord of the flies, By William Golding
Ibrahim Nayadoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-nayadoo.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ibrahim Nayadoo »

I have finished reading East Wind, second edition by Jack Winnick. I am now going to read A Portrait of Mommy by J. L Coston.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston :techie-studyinggray:
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

David weber makes a good autor for me. Im finshing reading its main saga honorverse and rereading the saga war of the gods. Two very good sagas full of adventure and sci-fy the first one and fantasy the second. Very good choices for entering the genere from a not to know autor outside USA.

The main problem that I was having it is the lack of creativity of the new autors. There is a lot of fountains for creativity unexploit but they dont use it. So lately Im decantinmg to oriental autors beacuse the lack of capability of our occidental autors.

Sagas like crepuscule, the hunger games or gray shades causes heavy damage in my reader mood. I pick the books for fun but it turns out in pure hottie for horny teenage assholes. They are so poorly written that they damage my eyes. The main history are so predictable that hurts. The characters are one click.

Rick Riordan, Joane Rowling, Cristhoper Paolini, David Weber, Steven Wite, and a lot of Sout American smaltime writers restored it quite a lot. But the damage was to bad already.
Eyrova89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyrova89.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Eyrova89 »

I'm currently reading "All Quiet on the Western Front". Set in WWI years.
I believe I'm currently in a phase, reading books with histories set in the war years. My previous book was "The Book Thief", history took place in Germany during WWII.
Cleanslate
Currently Reading: Guns, Germs, and Steel
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Cleanslate »

Spent all of this morning into the afternoon reading Cancer Was Not A Gift & It Didn't Make Me A Better Person. One woman's reflexion of her mother's death from cancer. Detailing her experience with facing the disease.

An American Princess is considerably lighter historic story of a woman of the 1800.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

We are Voulhire by Matthew Tysz
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

I'm currently reading Ben Hur: A tale of the Christ by Lewis Wallace.
Last thing I read for fun was the entire Sherlock Holmes collection, which put Arthur Conan Doyle on my list of favorite writers. You should all read it if you get a chance!!!
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Post by intelligentsiagirl »

Reading ...

OPEN SEASON
LEGALIZED GENOCIDE OF COLORED PEOPLE
Ben Crump
Amistad, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, copyright 2019
Ideologies evolve to become oxymoron's, because they are stress tested as Occam's razors: for the manipulation of the ill-educated commoners -- so they can embrace an ideology in vogue - 1 January 2020
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace :techie-studyinggray:
Tobewankenobe
Currently Reading: Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Tobewankenobe »

I'm currently reading 'We Are Voulhire the Ascension of Akistry.' It will be the start of my review experience here. I chose a fantasy novel because I usually have fun reading them, and I wanted to start off gently. Unfortunately, the book is dragging for me, although I like it so far. I'm only on the 4th chapter. Maybe it will pick up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”